1st Trimester
Options

Tylenol for colds

My doctor has this on the 'approved' medications lists.  Has anyone else's doctor said said differently?  I've been fighting a cold for the last few days, and haven't taken anything.  But not being able to breath out of my nose is keeping me up at night (more than before) and making me miserable.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tylenol for colds

• Options
    Tylenol is safe.
  • Options
    My doctor approved Tylenol for colds as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Tylenol is safe but isn't going to do squat for a cold unless you're taking it for pain or fever.  What you need is Sudafed - the original formula that you have to ask for behind the pharmacy counter.  I just battled the cold from hell so I know how you feel.

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I have been taking it.  I weighed the danger of taking it versus the danger of developing a higher fever.  High fever can be bad.  It is class B, and as with most drugs, there is not a lot of evidence for 1st trimester use in humans.  But there are animal studies with no adverse affects.  Again, personally, I think it comes down to the lesser of two evils... which one is worse... Tylenol or a high fever. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    photo fallinginlove_zps8333e154.jpgimageimage
  • Options

Thanks everyone.

imageelmoali:

Tylenol is safe but isn't going to do squat for a cold unless you're taking it for pain or fever.  What you need is Sudafed - the original formula that you have to ask for behind the pharmacy counter.  I just battled the cold from hell so I know how you feel.

Yeah, I think you're right.  PLAIN Sudafed is on the approved list too.  My main complaint is nasal congestion, so I probably don't need Tylenol Cold.

• Options
    imageJuliebird8307:

Thanks everyone.

imageelmoali:

Yeah, I think you're right.  PLAIN Sudafed is on the approved list too.  My main complaint is nasal congestion, so I probably don't need Tylenol Cold.

Yeah and Tylenol Cold isn't the same as Tylenol and I honestly can't recall if it's on the approved list or not.  But like I said, I know for a fact that Sudafed is.  Feel better! 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    Tylenol is safe.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I got that list too. Basicly, Tylenol is safe...it won't really help with cold symptoms though. Sorry, I think the best thing is just to drink lots of water, rest and let the cold run it's course.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Sudafed isn't really helping.  I guess I just need to let it run it's coarse.  Mucinex would be helpful, but I don't see that on any approved lists.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"