Detroit Babies

BCBS maternity rider

Is the blue cross blue shield maternity rider insurance worth paying for. If u do the 2500 deductible plan? The insurance customer service people are no help so if anyone has any input that would be great to hear

Re: BCBS maternity rider

• Ugg this posting thing is driving me crazy. I write a message and it disappears..

Anyway, I might be able to help you find a helpful person to help you out or be able to answer you're questions since I work there.

Do you already have the Flexible Blue II plan? Or are you looking at purchasing it together soon?

How much would they charge you to add the rider? 

• I added the rider in September to my flex blue plan I pay 349 a month for a deductible of 2500. Except I spoke to over 10 different people at BCBS and they all told me different things it was ridiculous. So any help understandin how it works what it covers and starting when and if its worth it would be great
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you have had such trouble. Its glad to hear that you've already added it. From what I've read there could be a waiting period of 180 days if you added it after you had the health plan for pre existing conditions. I'm not sure if you have to deal with that or not. I think the way to get out of that is if you've had coverage before for 18 months, filling out a waiver of the preexisting coverage waiting period and filling out a certificate of credible coverage form. From the welcome kit and benefits at a glance it says that it covers 80% of pre and post natal visits. The 80% is also for delivery and newborn routine care. That is after the deductible has been met when using an in-network doctor.  Have you at least gotten and understood that information.

Have you called 1-888-288-2738?

Have you tried to check out the benefits in Member Secured Services at bcbsm.com? 

Sometimes calling your doctors office can be quite helpful and they can contact BCBSM for you since they know the codes they use and would be I presume talking to another dept.

Have you gotten a welcome kit with your plan? I think they send out pdfs. I see they show the Benefits at a glance on the website but there are FAQs in the welcome kit which i just looked up and summarized above. Maybe its in your Member Secured services area.

I actually work on the design layout of these pieces so only understand what I read. Unfortunately I'm not in the dept. 

https://www.bcbsm.com/index/plans/michigan-health-insurance/michigan-health-insurance-plans/flexible-blue-ii-2500.html

• I have the rider, but I have a different plan so I don't know if there is any difference in the rider between plans. It covers 80% in network after deductible is met. Roughly, it costs me $150/month extra. And yes, I think you would need it before conceiving due to a 180 days waiting period. Considering the cost of prenatal care, delivery, etc can easily be over 20k, yeah I would think being insured for maternity would be worth it if you intend to be pregnant, unless Im missing something. Then you only pay a few thousand as opposed to having no insurance and paying it all yourself. Just my opinion. Maybe the $350 they quoted you was for medical insurane plus the maternity rider? I dont know. I agree their service is confusing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Do u know if ur covered if u get pregnant in the 180 day waiting period ?
  • Thats the part I don't know because they might consider that a preexisting condition? I don't know. But like I said you might be able to qualify for the waiver by filling out the waiver and certificate of credible coverage for the past 18 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"