Working Moms
Options

My job is sending me to the edge!

I am a merchandiser for Coca-cola which essentially means that i spend my days stocking soda, which comes in a variety of cases ranging from mildly heavy, to 'I hope I don't drop this because I feel like I'm going to die' heavy.  And don't get me wrong, I can handle the weight normally but ever since I've been pregnant I've been trying to be more careful.  Plus my usual back and joint pain is a bit amplified.

My boss has known about be being pregnant since I first found out and he said he would be working out a modified position for me.  He told be over a month ago that he was going to change the routes so that I wouldn't be pulling heavy pallets, or working with the heaviest cases (my route consists of super walmart and a large grocery store).  Last week he told me that I will be simply switching routes, instead, so I will have 2 grocery stores, target, kmart, 3 liquor stores, and the hospital, which I don't feel is going to be easier on my body.  I have just entered my 2nd trimester so the real big changes will be happening soon.  And I admit that I may be a bit too paranoid, but this is my first and everything seems to scare me (it doesn't help that I'm considered high risk).

What really irks me though is the last 2 weeks.  I understand that it was the holidays and a lot of soda gets bought but I have worked 4 of my last 8 days for 12 hours or more.  Each of those days I spent at least 10-12 hours on my feet moving all day.  By the end my body hurt and I was completely spent.  My last day before my weekend I worked for 12 1/2 hours with no breaks other than the time it took me to drive to my next store.  I had to throw over 700 cases to stock the stores, take down 2 displays and build another on my own, while the able bodied 19 year old boys that I work with decided to go home.

This kind of thing bothered me before but now I feel like I'm going to snap. I'm sick of my boss not following through with what he says he will do and I'm sick of them putting the business before my health.  Note: I am the only female at my job.  And so the only one who COULD have this problem.

Honestly, I can't decided if I'm just being whiny or if there is a problem here.  Any insight? 

Re: My job is sending me to the edge!

• Options
    Could you get a note from your OB limiting the weight you can lift?  It sounds like a very difficult, physically demanding job.  Hope you can find a balance.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would talk with your OB about what limitations you need, ask her to put it in writing, and then go talk with your boss again. If he doesn't make changed to accommodate your doctor's orders, I'd go talk with HR.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    image1026pumpkin:
    I would talk with your OB about what limitations you need, ask her to put it in writing, and then go talk with your boss again. If he doesn't make changed to accommodate your doctor's orders, I'd go talk with HR.
    ditto and please do this soon am certain they will work out once note is gi ven to h r 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The long hours won't be an issue in a normal pregnancy, lots of ladies do it (nurses, docs, etc., on their feet all day), but the heavy lifting would bother me.  I would get a doctor's note.  

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think many times, women ask for way too much special consideration when pregnant.  Unfortunately, in my case, my boss lumps all people together and one  whiney coworker of mine has basically caused my boss to assume all pregnant women are a pita.   Just something to consider as you move forward.  

• Options

I have some family members that do the same work. 

I'd come with a doctor's note and ask for a modified route. I don't think you can get away with no grocery stores, but maybe you could get rid of the Super Walmart or something. But I think you need a note from your OB to prove that it is legit and not just whining.  

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Take it easy.  if not u could end up like me on hospital bedrest and a baby with IUGR.  dont push yourself. it just isnt worth it. trust me, i learned the hard way.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options

I agree with PP to get a weight limit from your OBGYN and give it to HR.  There are just some men that don't understand and I don't think he's trying to be a problem, but just that he REALLY doesn't understand.

Good Luck and I hope it gets better.

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

Well I got moved to an "easier route" which has 8 different stores, 3 large, 3 medium, and 2 small.  My OBGYN has yet to give me a weight limit but honestly the weight isn't what bothers me for the most part, its the repetition and walking/standing for 10-12 most days.  I have also started my daily injections of Lovenox (blood thinners) so that has made my body react differently to just about everything.  This last week, though I am supposed to be limiting myself, and I was sick, they wanted me to work my days off and get no break between my weeks.  

As to my boss not understanding.  He is always comparing me to his wife.  At first it was, oh well my wife worked right up until she went into labor.  Now it is, well my wife has the same kind of job as you and my kids were premature.  I don;t think he understands that that is one of those things I am trying to avoid.

I'm just counting down the days that I can get out of there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"