Two Under 2
Options

Better for kids to share a room or new baby in parent's room?

Hi all-

I'm due in September w/ #2 and we live in a 2 bedroom rental. I was planning to put the new baby in the master bedroom w/ DH and I (in a crib). DS#1 isn't a great sleeper and I was thinking it would be easier to keep them in separate rooms, especially for the first 6 months until the new baby can sleep longer. What do you think? Pros or cons? Anyone do it either way who could offer some suggestions/ideas? TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker The Coastal Living Mom Blog: http://thecoastallivingmom.wordpress.com/

Re: Better for kids to share a room or new baby in parent's room?

• Options

We had dS2 in our room for the first month, then he slept in a PNP in our guest room until 4 months when he started sleeping for four or more hours a night. The kids then shared a room up until last week when ds1 started climbing out of his crib, he's now in our guest room. There was a few times that ds1 woke ds2 up, but I don't remember it ever being the other way around. We have a sound machine which I think helped a lot. 

I was really worried about them sharing, but it worked out really well. So well in fact that we plan on baby 3 due in June sharing with ds2.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I know that in the UK it's recommended to have LO sleep in your room for the first 6 months to help prevent SIDS so I'd say as long as everyone gets enough sleep to keep baby in your room.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We were in a similar situation, with DD1 being a terrible sleeper when her sister came along.

We kept DD2 in a bassinet in our bedroom until she outgrew it (3 months-ish), then we moved her to her sister's room. Despite DD1 being a crappy sleeper, the girls never woke each other up or anything. I guess they just learned to tune out each other's noises.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Our girls are 19 months apart. They have shared a room since 2 was three months old.
    We have never had issues with the girls bothering each other. 1 has crawled into 2's bed a few times but they just slept together so it was fine.
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"