Parenting after 35

Mammogram

Off to get my mammogram!  Why did I schedule this for Monday??  Not a fun way to start off my week but a very important thing to do once a year!!!  Just a friendly reminder to everyone over 40 (and sooner if recommended) - go get it done yearly!!!
Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 

Re: Mammogram

• I just got my very first one done the other week. I was terrified, having heard all the horror stories of how painful it could be.

But mine did not hurt *at all*! It was a very quick and uncomplicated experience! I had a wonderful nurse who explained everything, and it was done pretty quickly. 

Just thought I'd share my experiences in the hope that it would let people know that they don't have to hurt, and hopefully get more women to schedule mammograms! :o)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I find that they don't hurt me either, just a little uncomfortable.  We had a good laugh about it actually at my book group the other night in regard to the whole process.  I am 42 and have 4 mammorgrams and when I pregnant with #2, they had me do an US as they thought they felt something.  US was fine but I had to go back a few months after she was born and I had stopped nursing for a mammogram just to make sure.  I was 38 at the time and have had them yearly since I turned 40.  Last year, I had to go back for a second look just to make sure and was told that is actually very normal - again, just so you totally don't freak out it you get that call back.  The older you get, the more common it is to have to go back for a better look.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a baseline mammogram done when I was 35 at my OB's recommendation.  Not a fun experience, but it was nice to be told everything looked okay I didn't need to come back for five years. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'll take a daily mammogram over the annual pap test anytime. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBrideBuddies:

I'll take a daily mammogram over the annual pap test anytime. 

OMG I thought the same thing, lol! The pap test's were way worse for me.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • it's uncomfortable whenever you do it.  Had mine done in October, and got the results back in 2 days. Maybe by having it done earlier in the week you get your results back, quicker?  Good luck on good results! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh my! You mean I am that age already where I have to start getting mammograms? That stinks. Crying I hope your's went well!
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemwd:
    it's uncomfortable whenever you do it.  Had mine done in October, and got the results back in 2 days. Maybe by having it done earlier in the week you get your results back, quicker?  Good luck on good results! 

I actually go to an amazing clinic for mine - The Jane Bratten Breast Center - and this is what they deal with so you get the results within 24 hours no matter when you go.  They call you the same day or the next (depending on the time of day you go) if you need to go back in.  No call by end of the next day and you know you are good to go.  You get a letter either way.  Last year I had to go back and the tech this time was amazing as she saw that I had to go back last year so she took extra time this year and actually redid the side view shot as she was not 100% happy with how it looked.  Saved me a ton of time.  I just really love the feel of the place as they make it as comfy as they can and the staff is wonderful.  They even do walk ins so if you have any concerns (feel something while doing a self exam for example) you can just walk in and see what is going on right away.

• I'm due in March for mine.

Last year I had to get additional views because I have dense breast tissue. This year I want to ask my OB to write a Rx to get that done at the 1st visit so I don't have to take 2 days off from work. Not sure if that is possible. 

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • I had my first one this year.  I ended up having to go back for further testing, but everything was good!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"