Maryland Babies
Options

help me out here....age for starting kindergarten

I am having a total senior moment re: starting Kindergarten in the state of MD. The child has to turn 5 before September 1st, correct?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: help me out here....age for starting kindergarten

• Options

Correct - has to be 5 on the first day of school.

I think you can get a waiver/exception if your kid turns 5 before Oct. 15th or something.

Ella will turn 5 Dec. 10, 2013 (holy moley) but won't start kindergarten until Sept. 2014.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

I think you can get a waiver/exception if your kid turns 5 before Oct. 15th or something.

Ella will turn 5 Dec. 10, 2013 (holy moley) but won't start kindergarten until Sept. 2014.

Yeah-ok-that is what I thought. My friend keeps confusing me though-she is saying 6. Whoa, that means S will be starting Kindergarten next year. Fall 2014. I seriously need to get the heck out of my house.

Ha, funny, I started kindergarten at 4 and went off to college at 17.....seems like so young.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes. B is off by a week. In order to get in early, there are forms to fill out and the county also tests to see how well they would do. According to B's Pre-K teacher, they need to be in the top 2% in order to go in early and then the child is kept an eye on for the first month. They are allowed to pull the child if they are not doing well. This is HoCo though. I'm not sure how the other counties work. 

B's teacher said that she thinks he would do fine going in this coming September. She did say as well that boys born closer to the cutoff date may actually do better with holding off entrance as boys do mature in some thinking levels later than girls. However, she said that was just in her experience.  I have had several other teacher friends say that it's better to hold off. 

After all that blah, blah, blah from me, B will be entering kindergarten in fall 2014 when he will be almost 6.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemrs. remy:
    imageKathrynMD:

Yeah-ok-that is what I thought. My friend keeps confusing me though-she is saying 6. Whoa, that means S will be starting Kindergarten next year. Fall 2014. I seriously need to get the heck out of my house.

Ha, funny, I started kindergarten at 4 and went off to college at 17.....seems like so young.

me too - I remember my 18th bday at college. ... weird.

I'm happy to give E a little extra time, but its weird. ..

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ava will be starting Kindergarten and DS will be be starting college Sept 2014. Hold me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageidonthavethis:
    Ava will be starting Kindergarten and DS will be be starting college Sept 2014. Hold me.

LOL! that will be be fun!

• Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day.  J will go to K in 2015, just shy of 6 and I am totally ok with that.  He's a smart kid, but very shy and reserved and I think if he were one of the youngest he would be overpowered by the other kids both physically and personality wise.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageCooper81:
    I was just thinking about this the other day.  J will go to K in 2015, just shy of 6 and I am totally ok with that.  He's a smart kid, but very shy and reserved and I think if he were one of the youngest he would be overpowered by the other kids both physically and personality wise.

Same with A, she will be almost 6 when she starts school. I really need to think about pre-school. 

• Options
    imagejcsntms06:

imageCooper81:

Same with A, she will be almost 6 when she starts school. I really need to think about pre-school. 

We're a ways off, but even with petitioning to start early, L will miss the cutoff and be almost 6 when she starts. Readiness isn't something we can predict now, but if she were ready early, there is a workaround. Her daycare has kindergarten, and if she did that, then she'd be able to go into first grade as opposed to repeating kindergarten at public school. I think they do have a prek of sorts though if we don't go with that so she won't have to stay in 4's for 2 years.
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes, you are correct.  You can get a waver if your child is close to that date.  My baby is due on Aug. 31st so I am a little worried about them being the oldest/youngest in the grade depending on their birthdate.  As a teacher I know that if you visit the public school system website for your county and look at Kindergarten registration, there should be a waiver form or information about it.  
  • Options

imageBrzezink:
    Yes, you are correct.  You can get a waver if your child is close to that date.  My baby is due on Aug. 31st so I am a little worried about them being the oldest/youngest in the grade depending on their birthdate.  As a teacher I know that if you visit the public school system website for your county and look at Kindergarten registration, there should be a waiver form or information about it.  

This was me. My son was due August 31st and then born a week late. That's what bothered me most about being overdue :)

It really depends on the county. So they just waive it if the child is within limits but our county tests the children.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageBrzezink:
    Yes, you are correct. nbsp;You can get a waver if your child is close to that date. nbsp;My baby is due on Aug. 31st so I am a little worried about them being the oldest/youngest in the grade depending on their birthdate. nbsp;As a teacher I know that if you visit the public school system website for your county and look at Kindergarten registration, there should be a waiver form or information about it. nbsp;

You never know!! I was due 8/31 and my daughter came 3 weeks early! I was a little worried about the whole cut off thing but thankfully now it's a non issue though kindergarten is several years down the road for us.
    bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"