Birth Stories

Gideon's birth story

This little guy is my second baby, both boys but oh man was this pregnancy completely different from DS1! I blame it on the fact that they're 5 years apart.

DS1 was born at 35w5d and from the get go I tried to put the fear of another NICU baby out of my mind. Although DS1 was healthy overall he had a nice 3 week stay anyhow. So, after 3 trips to L&D for pre-term labor starting at 33w I was taken off work and put on bed rest, what a drag that was. I was also given a round of steroids to help development move a little quicker and Procardia to keep contractions at bay. After all that I managed to make it to my 37w appointment! My OB said that she was pretty sure if I stayed on the course I was on at that point I may very well go full term! Well, that didn't happen....

On Jan 25 my DH and I decided to go to dinner (OB approved one outing a week) at a local Italian place, yumm!! I felt great and we went home to put DS1 to bed around 7pm. I joked that there was a full moon and that sometimes, according to all those old stories, that can put you into labor! We laughed, watched a movie, and went to bed around 11pm. I've heard and read that some women can hear the pop of their water breaking and always wondered if that was true, it sure is!! With DS1 my water was broken in the hospital so I never had to deal with it. This time, I made a mess lol. I am, however, very thankful I was at home!! Oh the fluid!! I waited roughly 45 minutes, mainly because it was 3:30 in the morning and my sister had to come over to watch DS1, to get my behind out the door and on the way to the hospital. DH was beyond excited that LO was truly on his way. I, on the other hand, was worried about his lungs.

We were admitted around 5 am and IV started for antibiotics (GBS+). I was only at 3cm and 80%, but I was hopeful it wouldn't take long! Around 8 am I called the nurse because the pressure was unbearable!! She, of course told me that she'd check but there's no way I moved along that quick. Boy was she wrong! The on call Dr. barely made it in for the delivery because she called him AFTER setting everything in the room up! Talk about crazy! With less than 5 minutes pushing, we were introduced to out beautiful little boy, Gideon. There was a NICU nurse on stand by to check him out and roughly 2 minutes later, he was back in my arms! NO NICU TIME!!! I was ecstatic! He was perfect. January 26, 2013 at 8:54am 6lbs 12ozs, 20.5 inches long and a full head of hair! We stayed an extra day to wait for blood cultures because I wasn't on antibiotics long enough, but that was our only issue. We went home that monday and it's been heaven ever since.

Re: Gideon's birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"