C-sections

Curiosity Poll: GD and C-section

So my link wouldn't work to post this as a poll, but I was wondering how many of the c-section ladies happen to be diagnosed with gestational diabetes?  I've heard that GD can significantly increase the chances of needing c-section and, now that I've been diagnosed, I can't seem to get a straight answer from the docs. 
Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Anniversary

Re: Curiosity Poll: GD and C-section

• I know that GD can cause larger birth weights so I imagine that may cause higher instances of c-section. I didn't have GD but I did have a big baby and my doc was very opposed to me trying to deliver vaginally.

I expect if your GD comes with complications they may need to deliver early which may cause a need for a c-section. 

Otherwise, I have never heard of that. Maybe ask on the High-Risk board as well? I think there are several GD ladies over there. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I know in my case, I was induced with my first child due to gestational diabetes, which after 17hrs of labor, I stalled and that is when I went to for a C-section. This time around, I do not have it and opted for a C-section. I don't know if gestational diabetes so much increases your chance of C-section as much as being induced does, in my opinion. I hope that helps a little. :D Good Luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had GD and a c-section.  My GD was diet-controlled and LO didn't have any blood sugar problems after he was born.  He had been measuring big (2-4 weeks ahead) since 10 weeks, so he was just a big baby. 

DS weighed 10 lb 6 oz (22") when he was delivered via c-section at 39w2d.  At 38w4d, his weight was estimated to be 9 lb 15 oz.  His abdomen was measuring bigger than his head, so my OB wasn't willing to induce.  She was afraid that I would deliver the head and have trouble delivering the rest of the baby.  She was willing to let me wait to see if I went into labor on my own but also stressed that the longer it took for me to go into labor, the bigger he would grow.  According to my OB, I was the first patient she encouraged to have a c-section due to the baby being big. 

• Not for me. No GD. 2 c-sections. 2 large babies - 9 lbs 2 oz (10 days late) and 9 lbs 4 oz (2 days late)

DH was 10 1/2 lbs at birth. His brother was almost 9 lbs. DH is 6'3' and his brother is 6'2". Apparently my babies take after his side of the family.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • first C-section was unplanned--no GD issues;  second was a RCS and again no GD issues
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Yes, GD. Yes, C-Section. Although my c-section wasn't planned.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Had GD that was diet controlled and had an unplanned c-section. 

• GD both times, planned c-section both times.  The c-section is due to my back injury not my GD; I stand the risk of furthering the damage to my back if I try pushing.  It just worked out to be a bonus that my first was over 10 lbs and this one will probably be about the same.
  • Nope. I had an emergency one at 28w4d due to my cord failing and then a rcs.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I had gestational diabetes, but only had a c-section because her heart rate would drop every contraction I had. She ironically was a very small baby. I had her early at almost 36 weeks and she was only 5 lbs 3 oz when she was born. It really depends on how your pregnancy progresses and how big baby is...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I had GD and an unplanned c section because I wasn't progressing past 6 cm.
    Untitled Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagechristine6980:

I had gestational diabetes, but only had a c-section because her heart rate would drop every contraction I had. She ironically was a very small baby. I had her early at almost 36 weeks and she was only 5 lbs 3 oz when she was born. It really depends on how your pregnancy progresses and how big baby is...

I was in a very similar situation, I was induced because between growth ultrasounds at 32 weeks - 36 weeks my son dropped from the 58th % to the 15th %,  and then after a while every contraction made his heart rate drop.I also had GD

• Well, I think the rate of c/s with GD is increased because some doctors hedge their bets that the baby will be too big to birth, so either offer a c/s in the first place, or induce (which has a greater chance ending in a c/s).

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• I had GD with both my pregnancies & both c/s. The first was because I was pre-e. was induced at 37 weeks & it failed. Not GD related. The second was a RCS at 39 weeks because my doctor wouldn't let me go past 40 weeks and I decided to have my son in 2012 to keep it all under one year of insurance and not have to meet another deductible. Not GD related. 
  • I had c-sections with both babies (first was emergency, second was planned RCS).  I had diet-controlled GD with #2.  I actually ended up going into labor with him before my scheduled RCS at 38w4d and he was 7 lb. 3 oz. at birth, 10 oz. less than DD, so I think chances are good I would have been able to VBAC him if I'd wanted to.  I am not really sure because due to the prior c/s my OBs would not have wanted me to go much past 40 weeks anyway, but I think they would have let me try for a vaginal birth with DS as long as I didn't go past my EDD.  If I hadn't had a previous c/s they might have allowed me to go longer depending on how the fetal monitoring/NSTs went.  I have several friends who had GD and successful vaginal births.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Thank you ladies!!  I appreciate all the feedback.  Sounds like they're pushing to induce me by 39wks--and now they've just added that apparently I have oligohydramnios (the kiddo is low on amniotic fluid) so it might even be earlier than that.  Oy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"