High-Risk Pregnancy

GD AND Pre-E?

Hello Ladies,

I'm coming out of the shadows because I am 33 weeks and was diagnosed with GD today. I was also diagnosed with pre-e last week. I may be completely dense, but I didn't think the two were related in any way and didn't realize you could have both at the same time. I don't get to see my doctor until Monday, so I'm concerned what that means for my diet, baby, delivery plans, etc.

With my first, I had a perfectly normal pregancy so I am a little suprised that I am spilling protein AND have gestational diabetes. Any words of advice? Anyone been diagnosed with both GD and Pre-e?

Blissful wife and mama. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GD AND Pre-E?

• I don't have experience with GD & Pre-E... I have GD & hyperemesis gravidarum. My dietitian is completely confused by how this works together. Hopefully you get some answers soon!
    Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • I'm pretty much with you...I have Lupus Nephritis which actually has been acting like pre e & I have GD from the steriods I am on. So tech. have to deal with both as well. I have been on hospital bedrest since 24 weeks...I am 31 1/2 weeks now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi! Its my understanding that GD can make you more predisposed to pre-e, although I am not quite how. 

I have GD and at one visit I spilled protein, but my BPs have been great, and I never spilled protein again. Nevertheless, I am nervous at every visit that I will spill protein again. Interestingly, the only time I spilled protein is when I spilled glucose as well. Both only happened once, at the same time, and it was the morning when I failed my one hour glucose tolerance test. So, they definitely seem related.  

• I just read on a website last night that GD can cause pre-e. start watching what you eat. Less sugars, more fiber and veggies. You do still want to intake carbs, just in moderation.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! I am all set up with my GD meter ad supplies, but it's clear they still don't know quite what is going on. Yesterday at my NST I spilled no protien or glucose, but my contractions were only 3 minutes apart. Needless to say, I'm being very careful. I need this baby boy to make it just a couple more weeks to full term.
    Blissful wife and mama. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had pre-e with my DS and then this time have GD so I thought for sure I would have pre-e again. With only a few days to go I don't seem to have pre-e again this time. Good luck! Both don't sounds fun together!!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS I had GD and pre-e.  I was spilling ketones on and off for a week and a half from 35 weeks and had to get IV fluids 3 times.  Then I developed pre-e at 36.5 weeks.  I'm not sure if there is a correlation but it makes sense that spilling ketones and spilling protein (along with high BP) could be related.  

I'm surprised that you were diagnosed last week and they haven't given you any instructions.  I would give the office a call.  Typically with pre-e bed rest and monitoring is involved (especially at 33 weeks).  I was induced at exactly 37 weeks so only a few days after the diagnosis.  

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image5dogs:
    I don't have experience with GD & Pre-E... I have GD & hyperemesis gravidarum. My dietitian is completely confused by how this works together. Hopefully you get some answers soon!

I have both too!!  & for the 2nd time!

I thought i was a rare-case, but I'm glad to know someone else is dealing with both issues as well (not that i'm happy you have either...espeically HG, but you know what I mean!)

PM me if you ever need extra support - i understnad 100%

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • They actually are known to be linked -- one increases the risk for the other, and vice versa.  They don't really know what causes pre-e, but it's believed to be an issue with the placenta and hormones.  It's the same hormones that can induce the insulin resistance of GD.  So it's probably not unusual to have both.

I had pre-e with my 1st, then got high blood pressure again and GD with my second, and have GD with the third.  I have long assumed it's all part of a similar reason for how my body reacts to pregnancy -- something they'll discover some day!

"The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one." --Jill Churchill

Pre-e w/DD #1 -- now age four! GD and PIH w/DD#2 -- now age two! GD and unexplained third trimester bleeding with baby # 3 -- due Feb 27!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"