Health & Exercise

Losing the tummy

(This is NOT one of those catty "I'm asking a question, but really just want to brag" moments. I'm really hoping someone who's been here before can help me out!)

My DS is almost 7 months old. I gained about 30 lbs during the pregnancy and lost have lost closer to 40 since he was born. I lost the bump immediately (haven't needed maternity clothes once since he was born). But the bulk of the weight I've lost has been in my middle (butt, thighs, hips) and I still have a tummy.

I'm getting ready to wean and I'm afraid that once my breasts are closer to normal size my tummy's going to look huge. I drink a ton of water, work out on an ab circle, do reverse crunches, eat only healthy food, etc. But I keep losing weight elsewhere, and it makes my stomach look bigger.

Any suggestions? HELP!

Re: Losing the tummy

• I had great results with Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack.  I did it every other day, with a shorter run and did long runs on the between days.  I didn't lose weight, but lose like 2" from the waist and from my hips.  This was after being below my goal weight.

Even trying countless exercises, my weight still gravitates to my middle.  I was this way pre-PG though too.

• If you are not already doing so, add actual cardio because it sounds like you are doing everything else you need to (maybe revisit your diet when you're done weaning).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you tried eliminating grains? They can cause bloat. But it sounds like you are doing pretty great to be -10lbs pp so good for you! 
  • The only thing that ever works for me to lean out is to up my protein, eat clean, and weight train.... but I rarely have the willpower to keep it up.

I think each time you have a baby you lose some muscle and gain some fat so even at the same weight, you end up softer and squishier. The only way to reverse that is to gain muscle and lose fat, even if your weight doesn't change. 

• Have you considered whether you have diastasis recti?  Two of my friends are dealing with it post pregnancy and both have vastly different body types and lifestyles - it's a problem that affects many women for a variety of reasons.  Apparently, regular exercises as you've described above can actually exacerbate the condition.  Check out the self-diagnosis!  https://www.befitmom.com/abdominal_separation.html

Best of luck!

• After I stopped nursing, my extra belly fat went away.  I have no clue why.  I was training for a 1/2 throughout nursing and continued to train once I stopped nursing.  I think some of us just hold maternal fat stores in differnt areas to keep up our milk supply.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"