Georgia Babies

Woa...Today was a game changer....

So a few weeks ago I saw a job posting on linkedin...I applied....I went on my face to face interview and so far all is going very well and I am advancing to the next steps. I have been looking at DC for B and today I used my free day at the center by our house. I am torn between 2 centers and I think today's free day gave me a gut feeling that I like the other place better. I am going to have DH tour them to see. What questions did you ask of your day care center when choosing? When I picked B up he was hysterical crying. I get that this was overwhelming and that kids cry but he was so red-faced that I could tell he had been crying hard for a good clip of time. He is a very chill baby and not much rattles him. This was just the overall feeling I got. I am sure it was a lot for him to take in but I also know his levels of 'upset' and felt he had been crying for a long time. I am just curious what to look for and if this would be a red flag for you? I am excited about this job opportunity and what it will do for our family but I am nervous about choosing the right place for B to be all day. I love C's school and he is so happy there. I want the same for B. So veterans what made one place stand out over the other and what questions should I be asking? I have been home for almost 5 years so this is all very exciting but bittersweet for me. 

TIA!  

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Woa...Today was a game changer....

• When I had to choose DC for Lily I narrowed it down to two centers.  I had a good feeling about which one I wanted but I wasn't sure.  A lot like you.  I didn't use a free day or anything like that.  DH and I popped by both unannounced and we ultimately choose the one that we got the most "warm fuzzy" gut feeling about.

Does FL have a site where there might be some reviews for you to look at? Could you put them both at the same DC?  Two drop offs could be a huge PITA when you are working.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageyellowtulips80:

When I had to choose DC for Lily I narrowed it down to two centers.  I had a good feeling about which one I wanted but I wasn't sure.  A lot like you.  I didn't use a free day or anything like that.  DH and I popped by both unannounced and we ultimately choose the one that we got the most "warm fuzzy" gut feeling about.

Does FL have a site where there might be some reviews for you to look at? Could you put them both at the same DC?  Two drop offs could be a huge PITA when you are working.  

I am not sure if FL has a site like GA does. I will have to google to see. My choice for DC is to either put B 5 mins from C's school all of which is the exact midpoint between home and office. OR to put B at the center right at the entrance to our neighborhood (where he did the trial day today) I need to keep C at the school he is in now in order to reserve his space there for Kindergarden. The way this area is set up we have limited options by the house and everything is located right in the vicinity of C's school which is 10 mins from my house and 15 from where my office would be, if that makes sense. DH is also going to split drop off with me. 

Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Good luck with the job.  For me, I think gut instinct is everything.  I would ask about what the schedule for the day is like.  Also another big thing for me is their recording process.  I need to know everything (especially at B's age).  When they sleep, eat, poop, etc.  
    photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageMrs. Theobald:
    Good luck with the job. nbsp;For me, I think gutnbsp;instinct is everything.nbsp;nbsp;I would ask about what the schedule for the day is like. nbsp;Also another big thing for me is their recording process. nbsp;I need to know everything especially at B's age. nbsp;When they sleep, eat, poop, etc. nbsp;

I was going to say this too. The best daycares tell you not only when they ate/pooped/peed but also give you a little note about what they liked or new milestones or funny stories. I know it sounds crazy but ask them about the details of the daily sheet. Also, our current center sends me pictures of the kids playing or doing activities. Totally brightens my day to open an email and see Sophie blowing bubbles or Gavin eating lunch. Last week with the tornadoes, they sent out emails all day letting us know when they were in tornado mode in the hall and when it was lifted. Just extra stuff like that let's me know they are really looking out for the kids.

• imageslwprincess:
    imageMrs. Theobald:
    Good luck with the job. nbsp;For me, I think gutnbsp;instinct is everything.nbsp;nbsp;I would ask about what the schedule for the day is like. nbsp;Also another big thing for me is their recording process. nbsp;I need to know everything especially at B's age. nbsp;When they sleep, eat, poop, etc. nbsp;
    I was going to say this too. The best daycares tell you not only when they ate/pooped/peed but also give you a little note about what they liked or new milestones or funny stories. I know it sounds crazy but ask them about the details of the daily sheet. Also, our current center sends me pictures of the kids playing or doing activities. Totally brightens my day to open an email and see Sophie blowing bubbles or Gavin eating lunch. Last week with the tornadoes, they sent out emails all day letting us know when they were in tornado mode in the hall and when it was lifted. Just extra stuff like that let's me know they are really looking out for the kids.

Thanks ladies, I found the FL website that logs the dcfs visits all seem to be incomplete paperwork on the center's part nothing glaring there. I did google reviews of both places and the one that B did the trial day at got some pretty bad reviews from parents that confirmed my gut feeling that B had been crying for a long time. That place is out. The reviews for the place near C's school were stellar. I also have the director at primrose near C's school looking through who will move up to the toddler room in the next month or so, which would open a space for B there. So we shall see but I am going to go with my gut on this one, which is too bad bc they offered to waive registration AND give me a free month, which I guess should be a red flag in and of itself.  

• imageslwprincess:
    imageMrs. Theobald:

Wow, I know our kids don't go to the same DC, but all of this!  C's DC does exactly this (right down to the pics in hallway during tornado mode!) and it makes me feel so much better.  Glad it looks like it will work out OP!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow!!  Good luck to you Lauren!  I agree with the others and would go with my gut on this one.  It is crazy to me that they were letting him cry that much.  Surely they could have done something to calm him down from crying that hard.  It is a big red flag to me because especially on a trial day you would think they would be trying extra hard to make sure everything went well and there was a good first impression. 

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageseansgirl2006:

Wow!!  Good luck to you Lauren!  I agree with the others and would go with my gut on this one.  It is crazy to me that they were letting him cry that much.  Surely they could have done something to calm him down from crying that hard.  It is a big red flag to me because especially on a trial day you would think they would be trying extra hard to make sure everything went well and there was a good first impression. 

YES!! This exactly. They are out of the running for sure bc the director has not even called me to follow up on the trial day he had. That coupled with the crying and leaving me with the feeling that he was being ignored, has me running like my hair is on fire away from that place.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"