Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Allergic to store baby food

I have been making my DD's baby food, but this weekend we were going out of town and so I bought some baby food for just in case we were on the run and couldn't make it back to the hotel on time for the food I made.

I fed her some tonight and she got red all around her mouth. I wasn't anything new that I gave her so I'm wondering if she's allergic to something in it??
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Allergic to store baby food

• What did you give her? Typically, babyfood doesn't have anything in it other than the water and the veggie or fruit.  Was what you gave her something you haven't given her before?   I also make LO's babyfood and have noticed one time I gave bananas she was red around the mouth so I waited a few weeks and tried again with no reaction this time.  I asked my pedi and she said she thought it was from drooling or her eczema.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelaurenhankey:
    What did you give her? Typically, babyfood doesn't have anything in it other than the water and the veggie or fruit.nbsp; Was what you gave her something you haven't given her before?nbsp;nbsp; I also make LO's babyfood and have noticed one time I gave bananas she was red around the mouth so I waited a few weeks and tried again with no reaction this time.nbsp; I asked my pedi and she said she thought it was from drooling or her eczema.

It was pears and like I said in my OP it wasn't anything new.
    Doesn't it have something in it to help preserve the freshness??
    I threw away the jar already so I can't read the ingredients.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • while you were traveling, did you use a different soap to wash the spoon?  That could also be a possibility
    Picture3-3.jpg

Our Twin Baby + a Big Girl Blog

And with the delivery trifecra of one twin vaginal, one c-section with general anesthesia for twin B, Spencer and Sidney joined us at 35 weeks exactly on June 18.

• Could be teething. Drool gets everywhere around the mouth and dries and gets my dds cheeks and chin very red.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not sure but for some reason I think my daughter is allergic to the pears in baby food but not the fresh fruit. She's eaten fresh pear with me and was fine. I bought her some earths best baby food and the pear and barley one gave her a rash on her chest. She's eaten a lot of their foods but that was the only thing to give her a reaction. It's weird because she's fine with the fresh pear.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsEllis10:
    imagelaurenhankey:
    What did you give her? Typically, babyfood doesn't have anything in it other than the water and the veggie or fruit.nbsp; Was what you gave her something you haven't given her before?nbsp;nbsp; I also make LO's babyfood and have noticed one time I gave bananas she was red around the mouth so I waited a few weeks and tried again with no reaction this time.nbsp; I asked my pedi and she said she thought it was from drooling or her eczema.

It was pears and like I said in my OP it wasn't anything new.
    Doesn't it have something in it to help preserve the freshness??
    I threw away the jar already so I can't read the ingredients.

There is a list of ingredients on the packaging.

I know alot of the organic pouches of baby food we use are exactly what it says without added preservatives.
  • imagetheresat858:

imageRias:
    Not sure but for some reason I think my daughter is allergic to the pears in baby food but not the fresh fruit. She's eaten fresh pear with me and was fine. I bought her some earths best baby food and the pear and barley one gave her a rash on her chest. She's eaten a lot of their foods but that was the only thing to give her a reaction. It's weird because she's fine with the fresh pear.

Maybe it was the barley?

Pears are pears... although if you peeled it it's possible there is more peel in the jarred one, and the peel can contain allergens.

You're right. I'm really not sure. It could have very well been the barley. I actually fed her some turkey and vegetable dinner tonight and that had barley in it. I will check for any signs of a reaction. Thanks!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"