C-sections
Options

side-laying post c?

With DD I initially had a lot of trouble breastfeeding, and side-laying nursing was the best position for us. I realize that all babies are different, so this may not be the case with this LO. But I was thinking about it and wondering if you can even lay on your side after a c/s? If not, how long are you unable to lay on your side?

Re: side-laying post c?

• Options
    I was fine on my left side right away but it took a couple weeks for me to lay on my right. I had a lot of pain on the right.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a lot of pain lying on my side. I used cradle or football hold or tummy to tummy to nurse DD.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It was too painful to lay on my side for the few days. I used the football home mostly. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• Options
    It was a little over a week before it didn't hurt to lay on my side.
  • Options
    It is most comfy to be on your back for a week or two. I used football in the hospital bed and now mostly cradle hold.
  • Options
    I had a c/s with my first, and I know we were side-lying nursing by about 4-5 days after he was born. I'm sure I was slow getting up and down, but it was easier than holding DS at that point. One of the nurses told me to hold a pillow or a folded-up blanket against my incision when I was moving, which helped a ton.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I tried in the hospital but it was uncomfortable. At about 3 weeks I could lie on my side with a pillow against my stomach.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    We nursed side lying exclusively for the first day before I could get out of bed. After that we moved to nursing however I felt comfortable which was sort of a modified football.
  • Options
    I could lay on my side, but it was a little sore rolling into and out of that position for the first few days.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wasn't comfortable on my side for about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks after my surgery.  I nurse with cradle or football hold.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I slept on my back in the hospital, but the second I was home I was sleeping on my side. I used a flat pillow under my stomach for support and it was fine.  Of course it took me about a million years to get in and out of bed, but that's to be expected.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My MW thought side-laying would be a great position (no baby laying on your tummy), but I did not like it at all after my c/s. I didn't have the abdominal strength to keep from rolling onto my back, a pillow behind my back didn't prop me up enough, and laying on my side, my saggy tummy sagged to the side and felt like it was pulling on my incision. Plus, DD wasn't a very good bf'er and I needed more control over her. I didn't like side-laying for a few months, once she was good at bf'ing and I had more core strength. '

ETA: just fyi laying on my side didn't hurt at all, but bf'ing on my side just didn't work for us at first.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    I had to do side-lying for the first day because the epi made me so sick that sitting up made me vomit.  After that I much preferred cross-cradle on the left and football on the right (my right arm is WAY stronger than my left). I didn't get the hang of side-lying until a few weeks ago (6.5 months).
  • Options
    I had my C/S last Monday. I was lying on my side in the hospital, but with the help of a whole bunch of pillows all over my body. Rolling was very difficult, but doable if I used the rails on the bed for help. At home I have been sleeping in the recliner with a pillow behind my back. I knew getting in and out of a flat bed would be way too difficult for now, but I am very excited for when I feel like I can again. I have mostly been using the cradle hold to breastfeed, with a boppy on top of a flat pillow on my lap for support.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"