Food Allergy

Cow Milk Alternatives?

Hi - my DD is 1 yo and has experienced a variety of allergies (dairy, soy, eggs) that thus far have been mild (hives). I understand that doesn't mean she wouldn't have a severe reaction. At her 1 year appointment, we got a referral for the allergist and they said it would help us determine what we could give her. They also gave us the Epi pen. The problem is they allergist can't see her until Feb 5 and I only have 20 more feedings of frozen BM. I am thinking of giving her 2 bags of milk daily (8-10 oz) and continue with 3 meals of regular food - but is there anything else I could give her? We haven't tried Soy Milk because she broke out from Edamame and I'm scared. She is fine on her weight, takes the vitamins, but I just feel bad not giving her more milk (or milk substitute). My supply is pretty much gone, so continuing to BF isn't an option. Should I consider Coconut Milk (heard it's mostly just fatty) or is there a formula I should try?    
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cow Milk Alternatives?

• We have done coconut milk since DD was 14 months.  I BF until then.  Make sure you find one that has at least as much calcium as milk (30%DV) It doesn't have any protein, so you will just need to make sure that she gets protein from other sources.  It took a couple weeks for her to drink it, but now she loves it.   Other options are rice milk or almond milk, but those were not an option for us at the time.

GL.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• my DS2 is 13 months old and i'm down to 1 feeding a day and the rest of the time he's taking Silk Coconut milk.. It has pretty good amount of fat and a crazy amount of calcium. He actually doesn't have any allergies ( (my DS1 has the allergies, but DS2 drips milk all over the floor so we can't have cows milk/soy milk in the house) We had a tough time finding something for him b/c i couldnt find coconut milk that was fortified. My DS1 had rice milk for his second year but now rice is getting a bad rap. I would look into the silk coconut milk, just make sure it's fortified (should say 50% more calcium on it) and the original (IMO) tastes the best. If she doesn't have an Almond allergy, almond milk (IMO) tastes the best..
  • Loading the player...
  • I was just at the Gastroenterologist for this. They said to feed LO Alimentum which is milk protein free and soy free.  Also, since her acid reflux wasn't improving as well as it could, to add a little rice cereal to thicken it up.  Similac makes a Alimentum formula.  I don't know about other companies.
  • Since your LO is only 1 yr old, I recommend Similac Alimentum formula.  That's what I gave my son starting at 9 months (when we realized he had a dairy allergy -- he would get hives).  When he was about 1.5 yrs old we tried hemp milk (sounds weird I know...) it had the best amount of protein, omega fatty acids, vitamin a, folic acid and more.  We found it to be the best "health" wise over coconut, almond or soy milk.  DS drank it for about a year, then didn't like it anymore so now he has almond or coconut milk (he's 4 and still has the allergy).  

https://www.livestrong.com/article/512124-what-are-the-benefits-of-hemp-milk/

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"