Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Postpartum thyroiditis - Hypo

Is anyone familar with this? I went to see my doctor to get my Thyroid check. We think I am Hypo.  I am waiting for results, but wanted to find out if other mamma's with this condition have been able to loose weight once being treated. That was the big issue for me that caused me to think something is wrong. I blammed all the other symptons on just being a mom with two under two, but now think that they are part of this as well. With dieting and exersizing 6 days a week I have been unable to loose a pound in the past three months. I have about 35 to loose. Would love to hear from other moms about this! Thanks!

Re: Postpartum thyroiditis - Hypo

• Options

While mine is not postpartum (I've had Hypothyroidism because I had Thyroid glands burnt out because I had Grave's Disease), I am struggling big time with the same problem. I gained 30 pounds during pregnancy, lost most of it breastfeeding, stopped breastfeeding, gained weight back and now am stuck with 15 post pregnancy pounds. Plus I wasn't happy with where I was when I got pregnant.

I have been looking into this recently and success varies once you're thyroid levels are normal.  You could have great luck and you're weight can melt off or you can continue to struggle. It all depends on the person it seems. My levels are close to normal with medicine but I cannot lose weight no matter how much I work out or how little I eat.

I've done a little research on Thyroid diets and am trying to stick to lean meats, vegetables and fruits while limiting my carbs and sugars. If I stick to it religiously it seems to get the scale moving, albeit slowly.

I don't know if anyone else has any more encouraging stories or better suggestions, but I would love to hear them too.

• Options

My Sister In Law was diagnosed Hypothyroidism after her second child as well....It took some time to get her meds correct and thyroid levels back to normal. However, once she did she has been able to lose weight. It hasn't been easy for her, she definitely had to work at her diet and increase her exercise plan, but she lost about 40-50lbs over the course of 6-7 months once she committed herself to do so.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks everyone for you thoughts. I work out with cardio (running and spinning 4 days a week) and pilates/barre class two days a week,  as well as eat a helthy diet (low carb, lots o' veggies ). I have been pretty athletic most of my life. I am just antsy to hear back from the dr and find out what is giong on one way or another. Like others have said, it sounds like people have mixed results with weight loss after. I probably am spending too much time on the internet reading stuff about this.

I have recently stopped BF ( I am def somene who held on to weight while nursing, not lost it)  and looks like my period will be returning next week (according to bc pills) I have not had a period since before I got pregnant with my first ( who just turned two). Maybe that could be all it is.

I guess I'll know more in a few days!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"