Ohio Babies
Options

Paying Additional for Gender Reveal Ultrasound

Lcherry937Lcherry937 member
edited July 2021 in Ohio Babies
I was going over the mountains of paperwork and packets my Dr. gave me and just recently noticed that it says that the payment for the ultrasound done to reveal the gender is due the day of the appointment and that it may be refunded by your insurance provider. As this is my first pregnancy, I had no idea that this wasn't included as a regular ultrasound which would be covered by my insurance. Before I called my Dr. and sounded like an idiot I thought I would check on here to see if this is common.

Re: Paying Additional for Gender Reveal Ultrasound

• Options
    Most doctors do a 20 week ultrasound and will tell you the gender if they can find the gender. If you are just going infor a gender scan, then it usually isn't covered. If this is a regular ultrasound, then I would be wary of going to a doctor that wouldn't just tell me the gender.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That definitely doesn't sound right.  If you have to pay for all of the ultrasounds then that is probably an insurance thing but if they are just trying to charge extra for something they should already be doing I'd either switch doctors or not have them do that ultrasound. Depending on what they charge you there is probably a cheaper option to find out the gender!  So ridiculous!  But I will say that we had to pay some upfront costs for our health care and ultrasounds because of my husband's deductible plan for his health insurance.  If this is not the case for you I would question it for sure!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Per previous poster, if you are going in for a growth ultra sound scan usually between 16-20 weeks, they will usually tell you the gender if you want to know and insurance should pay for most if not all of it depending on your insurance, but if you are going in for a special gender only ultra sound outside of the that time frame then that might be why. 

I would def call and ask. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My doctor does not do an ultrasound at 20 weeks.  So far I have had only the 10-week ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy.  I am currently 27 weeks and plan to ask her if she does another to check on things.  She offered to do one for gender, but told us it may not be covered since it was not necessary.  We decided to be surprised anyway, so we have not had an ultrasound since 10 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"