Babies: 3 - 6 Months

I feel helpless! (kinda long)

My poor LO had a terrible diaper rash, we would lather him up to his belly button with cream and that seems to be helping just fine. But now DS is teething and drooling up a storm. He has developed red bumps under his chin and neck, which every now and then seem to clear up a little, but they always return. we try to keep the area as dry as we can. also, in between his little baby fat rolls gets really red. We bathe him everyday! so it's not like he's dirty. And now! to add on top of all of that, this morning he wakes up in his normal happy mood, but his eyelids are red and has a slight rash on his forehead!!

With all of this, I'm thinking it could be allergies, but we use organic wipes and frag. free baby lotions and soaps and detergent.

I know this is a lot and none of it may be tied together, but I feel so bad for him. He acts like he feels 100% and doesnt scratch or anything, but I don't know what else I can do for him! Does any of this sound normal, fimiliar, crazy, or do I need to get him to the doctor??

Re: I feel helpless! (kinda long)

• Definitely stop bathing him daily.  Babies only need a bath a couple times a week at most.  You can dry out his skin and take away essential oils by bathing so much.  Cut back to once or twice a week.  We've also had success using Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy lotion.  I picked it up at Target and it has really helped with some bad patches that my LO has/had on his head and belly.  His doctor said to use unscented baby lotion only.

It sounds like eczema.  I would stop the daily bathing, try the eczema lotion, and if it doesn't clear up, go see his pediatrician.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedanieliza1127:

Definitely stop bathing him daily.  Babies only need a bath a couple times a week at most.  You can dry out his skin and take away essential oils by bathing so much.  Cut back to once or twice a week.  We've also had success using Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy lotion.  I picked it up at Target and it has really helped with some bad patches that my LO has/had on his head and belly.  His doctor said to use unscented baby lotion only.

It sounds like eczema.  I would stop the daily bathing, try the eczema lotion, and if it doesn't clear up, go see his pediatrician.

This.  The issues you are experiencing are not because your baby is dirty.  It's likely because his skin is getting dried out from being washed too much.  It may be allergy related, but try fewer baths first.

I agree that this sounds like it may be eczema.  If you can't get it to clear up in the next 3-4 days using unscented lotion, call your pediatrician.  If eczema gets bad enough it can crack, bleed and ooze.  It's really uncomfortable and needs to be treated if you can't get it to clear up.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • It sounds like eczema.  My LO has it so bad that it gets crusty and angry looking.  We use babyganics eczema cream (target) and aquaphor.  No need to bathe daily. Winter can be harsh on LO's skin. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DS has had skin issues since birth.  I'm at the point that I just feel so terrible for him. It is similar to your situation but his is on every crease of his body and his skin feels leathery, even with lotion galore. My dr recommended the creams that the other girls recommended. He also put him on an antihistamine for the scratching.  It's not working too well, other than making him drowsy. 

I have decided to take him to  a pediatric dermatologist.  If you have insurance, it can't hurt. Our appointment is on the 18th.  I'll share if I learn anything new.  Hope your little one gets better :)

• if bath time is part of your bedtime routine, try less bubbles or less time in the water as well. 
    10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • Whenever I bathe my LO too often, her skin gets dry and red because of her eczema. I thought she was allergic to laundry soap or bath soap, but just bathing her less has really helped.

If it doesn't clear up, I would call the doctor to see what they recommend. There are also prescription-strength diaper rash creams if the rash is really bad and doesn't clear up, your doctor will know what is best. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"