December 2012 Moms
Options

Day cares (XP: 0-3 Months)

We are going to look at two home day cares tomorrow. What questions should I ask the ladies?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Day cares (XP: 0-3 Months)

• Options
    We use in home. I'd ask all the same questions you'd ask a center plus a few more. So, hours, price, sick policies, how their day is structured, how and where they will put baby down to sleep, what do they provide wipes? Diapers?, how many children per caregiver/home, plus the rest of the usual. I'd also make sure you know if they claim it on their taxes so you can claim on yours or use a flex spending account. I'd also want to know how they handle vacation. Ours has a set number of days off per year, paid. How do they handle your child's sick days do they still expect to be paid, etc. I also would want to observe for a few hours to see what they do. If you're planning on your child being there a while, I'd want to know about what they serve for food, what activities and learning they provide or if its just free play only, etc. I'd be watching to see how they disciplined the older kids, stuff like that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Everything PP said. I know it's super early to think about, but I would also ask about potty training technique used, what type of activities are offered for older kids, and what discipline technique is used. That first 2 years goes fast!
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I used to work at a daycare. You absolutely want to see their kitchen. If the kitchen isn't spotless, get the heck out! Also, like PP mentioned, ask about their menu. What do they serve? Are there alternatives? What if your child has allergies- how will they accommodate him/her? What kind of snacks? Juice or water? (the answer here should be water, imo)

What kind of education do the workers have? Do they have a degree in education? If not, have they taken courses on working with children of that age group? Are they certified CPR? Do they have to take annual classes to help keep their skills fresh? 

It's a little early for this, but what about nap time? What if LO skips his/her nap? 

How often do the linens get washed? (should be every day for infants)

What kind of chemicals will your child be exposed to? (cleaning products). They should be limiting the amount and mostly use a bleach/water combination and maybe disinfecting wipes during flu season, etc.

What activities do they have to involve families? (doughnuts with dad, muffins with mom, spring fling, etc). It seems silly to ask now, but I promise it goes by a lot faster than you think!

Mostly, I'd focus on their daily routine, sick policies, academics, etc. Also, some daycares teach LOs sign language so they can communicate before they can learn to talk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    What's the ratio for teachers to infants, where do the babies sleep, what's their schedule like.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"