November 2012 Moms

Should I be putting baby to bed earlier?

LO has her last bottle and is swaddled around 9:30. She falls asleep and wakes around 3-4  then up at 7am. I want to put her down earlier but im afraid she will be up and ready to go in the middle of the night. ACK! I see other peoples bedtimes start at 6-7pm!! Whaaaat?
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should I be putting baby to bed earlier?

• I put LO to bed between 8:309:00pm. I also was surprised by some of the early bedtimes...to each their own!
  • IMO, no. I'm surprised at early bedtimes. I go to bed myself around 11.
    So G usually goes to sleep for the night at 10. She does sleep from 8:30 to 10 but wakes up again and then sleeps through the night.
    If I put her to bed at 7 she would be ready to get up by 3 am! 8hours
    So nooooo thank you. If she goes to bed at 10 she gets up at 6 which is when I have to get SD up anyways, and then she eats and goes back to sleep til about 8 or 9. That works for us, so do whatever works for you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Cu goes to bed between 9 and 9:30 and sleeps until 6:30 or 7. I usually have to go in there around 3 to put my hand on him or give him his paci but that takes all of five minutes and he's out again.

I don't want him to have an earlier bedtime because we aren't early risers ourselves. If we had to be up every morning at 5 or 6 to start the day, maybe his bedtime would be earlier.

• I dont think I could keep dd up much later... 8 is working out so far... and I really like those few hours before I go to bed. I dont think bedtimes really matter, as long as your routine works for your family, right? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic< br> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, here's what I do, and it only happened like this by pure luck!!!

5pm cook dinner for LO1 

530/6 eat dinner with LO1

630/7 bath time for LO1

7 feed LO2 

730/8 swaddle and put LO2 down so that I can do bedtime with LO1.  

LO2 falls asleep and then I have some piece and quiet before I go to bed at 10. He will usually wake up around 3 to eat and again at 6, then sleeps until 8. LO1 wakes up at 630. 

oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We put our FB to bed at 630 and she slept 12hrs a night starting around 3 months. She was FF so Im sure that made a bit of a difference we're working on moving up DD bedtime bc she seems overtired by 7:30, which is when she used to go to bed. When she goes to bed at 7:30 she woke at 1, 4 and 7:30 to nurse hopefully that doesn't change much now that we moved her bedtime up an hr!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagerachael_c26:
    Cu goes to bed between 9 and 9:30 and sleeps until 6:30 or 7. I usually have to go in there around 3 to put my hand on him or give him his paci but that takes all of five minutes and he's out again. I don't want him to have an earlier bedtime because we aren't early risers ourselves. If we had to be up every morning at 5 or 6 to start the day, maybe his bedtime would be earlier.

So you don't have to feed him in the motn anymore? How did this happen?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic< br> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We tried putting LO to bed earlier but it didn't work. She seems to naturally want to start her bedtime routine around 9.30 so she's in bed by 10.30. Then she always wakes up for a night feed around 2 or 3am and goes back to bed until about 6.30am. Hoping eventually she drops the 2/3 feed and we can start her bed routine earlier.
  • imagerachael_c26:
    Cu goes to bed between 9 and 9:30 and sleeps until 6:30 or 7. I usually have to go in there around 3 to put my hand on him or give him his paci but that takes all of five minutes and he's out again.

I don't want him to have an earlier bedtime because we aren't early risers ourselves. If we had to be up every morning at 5 or 6 to start the day, maybe his bedtime would be earlier.

This exactly for me when LO is swaddled. I will try to move it earlier in the next week or so since I'll be back at work and up at 5:30.
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageiggywan:

imagerachael_c26:
    Cu goes to bed between 9 and 9:30 and sleeps until 6:30 or 7. I usually have to go in there around 3 to put my hand on him or give him his paci but that takes all of five minutes and he's out again. I don't want him to have an earlier bedtime because we aren't early risers ourselves. If we had to be up every morning at 5 or 6 to start the day, maybe his bedtime would be earlier.

&nbsp;So you don't have to feed him in the motn anymore? How did this happen?

He's always woken up around 3AM after falling asleep around 9PM... so naturally I always thought, "Eh. It's been a while. I'll feed him". His pedi gave her blessing at his two month appt to try to get him to do longer stretches. So finally I decided "I'm done with night time feedings, Cu!" And obviously it was more of a joke and wishful thinking than anything else, but that night when he woke up around 3, I gave him back his paci and put my hand on his chest and shooshed him until he relaxed his arms again. I thought for sure I'd be back in there within 30minutes, but sure enough he went til 5:45am! The next night til 6:30. Latest it's ever been was 6:50... then I usually bring him back in bed with me to eat then snuggle til 8 or 9.

So far he hasn't done that solid stretch without waking up around 3, but he doesn't eat then. Just needs to be calmed and reassured, I guess.
    Which is fine. I use that MOTN chance to go ahead and pump.

I've been really amazed at how he handles things amd just goes with the flow. I was scared he wouldn't transition to the crib well and I tried it randomly one day for naps and lo and behold, he loves his crib and has always slept better in it.

• We give B his last bottle around 9:30 and he goes down around 10. This gives us an hour or two of alone time then we go to bed.

Works well for us, shrug.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm with Dakota. L will give us 7 to 8 hour stretches when swaddled. For my sanity and patience for my students, I cannot wake up at 3 am. I've started at 8 getting L ready for bed but he will not fall asleep till 930 or later. Plus I am coaching in the spring; if L's bedtime was 7, I would never see him awake during the week.
  • I think it really depends on you and your LO. M gets so tired between 7 and 8. I swear she created her own bedtime. I do sometimes the wish she would stay up later, but the times I've tried just didn't work. She gets over tired and is a nightmare to get to sleep.

We were out tonight and her bedtime got pushed to 9 instead and I spent over an hour coaxing her to sleep instead of the 10 or 15 minutes I usually spend after she eats.

She is still up around 3 to eat. Hopefully she will grow out of that soon but until then, what can you do, ya know?
    Pregnancy Ticker

photo 9c28f28c-5aae-4b20-8f02-ea27ec37f516_zpsdaed06b5.jpg
  • DS1 goes to bed at 7:30.  DS2 is normally napping off and on during this time.  DS2 has been completely going down (not napping)  between 9-10. He wakes either at 4:30 or sleeps until 6:30.  He goes back down after that and sleeps until 8.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedanak4:
    I think it really depends on you and your LO. M gets so tired between 7 and 8. I swear she created her own bedtime. I do sometimes the wish she would stay up later, but the times I've tried just didn't work. She gets over tired and is a nightmare to get to sleep. We were out tonight and her bedtime got pushed to 9 instead and I spent over an hour coaxing her to sleep instead of the 10 or 15 minutes I usually spend after she eats. She is still up around 3 to eat. Hopefully she will grow out of that soon but until then, what can you do, ya know?

Your baby reminds me of a cabbage patch doll. So cute :)

• imagepuppy_love6969:

imagedanak4:
    I think it really depends on you and your LO. M gets so tired between 7 and 8. I swear she created her own bedtime. I do sometimes the wish she would stay up later, but the times I've tried just didn't work. She gets over tired and is a nightmare to get to sleep. We were out tonight and her bedtime got pushed to 9 instead and I spent over an hour coaxing her to sleep instead of the 10 or 15 minutes I usually spend after she eats. She is still up around 3 to eat. Hopefully she will grow out of that soon but until then, what can you do, ya know?

Your baby reminds me of a cabbage patch doll. So cute :)

Haha thanks! I loved my cabbage patch doll growing up.

Pregnancy Ticker

photo 9c28f28c-5aae-4b20-8f02-ea27ec37f516_zpsdaed06b5.jpg
  • I actually try to help my DS go to to bed later (like 9ish), bc before his teething issues began (he now wakes up once or twice for some comfort), he slept eight hours at night - but even now, he can usually stay in there until about 5ish.  But yeah, he's just exhausted by 7, and will actually pass out by 8 (if not earlier).  

So I wish I could put my DS to bed later, so I could sleep in more ;) 

BFP #1 06.20.11 I EDD 03.22.12 I MMC 09.01.11 (baby measured 6w4d) I D&C 09.07.11
    BFP #2 02.21.12 I EDD 10.29.12 I DS born 11.06.12

Surprise BFP #3 07.27.13 I EDD 04.02.14 I Stick baby stick!
    blog I pinterest

** I'm hopping all over boards these days, please @quote me for speedy replies :) **

• Honestly do what works for you. I tried to enforce early time with DD and she fought it so I pushed hers back to 9 and she did fine.P has his last bottle T 8 and is in bed by 9. He sleeps well too. I'm not worried of the time
  • A goes to bed around 8pm, she starts to get fussy around 7 so that's when we begin the bedtime routine: bath, nurse, swaddle and sleep. She kind of created her bedtime herself but since it works we've been sticking to this routine. The later we put her to bed, the harder it is to get her to sleep. DH wakes her up to feed at around 11:30 or 12 and then we let her sleep until whenever - usually she wakes up to eat anywhere from 5 to 7 am.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"