VBAC

VBAC ? Regarding pushing

I am determined to have a vbac in April..it will be 4 1/2 years since my c section.  My question is for those who have had a vbac..I am afraid that when its time to push I will be distracted by the thought that if I push too hard my incision will rupture or something else will happen if I push too much or too hard..is this crazy thinking?  If I'm thinking too much about that, I'm afraid my vbac won't be successful.  

Re: VBAC ? Regarding pushing

• Honestly all I could think about at that point was wanting to get the baby out of me.  I was very much in the labor zone.  UR was not even on my radar.  But maybe you can talk to your doctor about your fears, or your husband or doula or someone who will be at the birth with you, and they can help you stay focused on the positive.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I haven't posted on this board before but have been lurking because I am considering a vbac as well. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one thinking about that . I have the exact same fear an am afraid that it will make me unable to push effectively. Maybe we'll both get some good advice. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Loading the player...
  • I always figured that the contractions would be more likely to rupture anything than pushing would....so I wasn't worried about pushing too hard.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • I never heard that pushing too hard would cause rupture.  But I did have the UR thing on my mind all the way up to the day she came.  Once the contractions started it never entered my mind again.  You will be preoccupied with the labot and delivery at that time and I promise you that will not be on your radar when the time comes.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • What Iris and MA said, it wasn't on my mind when I was pushing.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imageanchalmasako:
    I always figured that the contractions would be more likely to rupture anything than pushing would....so I wasn't worried about pushing too hard.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • imageanchalmasako:
    I always figured that the contractions would be more likely to rupture anything than pushing would....so I wasn't worried about pushing too hard.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • imageanchalmasako:
  • I had this same concern before my vbac. It never crossed my mind during labor or pushing. I actually didn't think about it until the next day. As PP said you are being closely monitored.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMAprincess:
    I never heard that pushing too hard would cause rupture.  But I did have the UR thing on my mind all the way up to the day she came.  Once the contractions started it never entered my mind again.  You will be preoccupied with the labot and delivery at that time and I promise you that will not be on your radar when the time comes.

I think statistically once you're to the pushing part, the chance of UR is lower.  I remember reading somewhere that early to mid labor had the highest risk, because that's when the pressure is the greatest on your uterus.  And I also agree with Iris, the only thing on your mind is pushing out the baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Didn't occur to me either.  At the pushing phase I was so motivated because I felt much more in control of things.  Plus I was thinking, I have come this far, there is NO WAY I am going to let a c/s happen now!  I loved pushing.  
  • Thanks so much girls..and I didnt necessarily mean the pushing would cause a uterine rupture..most so the incision rupturing!  I really hope I can have a vbac..my doctor is on board so that is a good thing!
  • Honestly, once I got in the labor zone, that didn't even cross my mind.  All the hospitals in my area require CFM, so I was monitored and everyone looked good the whole time, so I just didn't even think about it.

Having a doula really helped.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I thought about UR before I went into labor, but once I went into labor it never crossed my mind. Even when I had a lot of bleeding at the start of labor, I never thought of it as a possible cause.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Like others have said, once I got into labor, the thought or rupture never crossed my mind. Pre-labor I remember being concerned about how I would know if something was going wrong. I think the reason I didn't think about it was because nothing of concern happened during my labor. The baby's heart rate stayed fine the whole time. Everything progressed normally and that gave me confidence that everything was normal.

And like Iris said, my whole focus was on getting the baby out during pushing. I didn't think of anything else at all really.

DS1: August 2009 (emergency c/s, HELLP syndrome) DS2: September 2012 (VBAC)
  • My thoughts were on pushing and getting that baby out! It honestly never even crossed my mind while I was in labour.

I have no help, but maybe work with your partner on ways to change your focus. But I have a feeling when it comes to pushing, your thoughts will be on getting your baby out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"