January 2013 Moms

Question for EBF moms

I feel like I need to produce more milk.  My little one has been starving and cluster feeding so often that i feel dry (even though I'm not truly) and I dont' really ever feel engorged. Being that she's feeding so often, I'm not getting too much out when I pump.

I'm still trying to pump twice daily to increase supply...and feeding her on demand (three weeks old). Is this a growth spurt or do I need to really focus on increasing my supply.

PS - also trying to build up stored milk for when I go back to work in April.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question for EBF moms

• How is your calorie and water intake? I constantly have to remind myself to drink more water.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • My DD is 3 wks today and was cluster feeding for the past 2 days. She gained 5 ozs and grew 3/4 of an inch this week. I read there is a growth spurt is at 3 wks.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I felt like this during DDs 3 week growth spurt. I kept feeling like maybe she wasnt getting enough. If LO doesn't seem upset I would think you are producing just fine otherwise they would be crying. Lots of wet and dirty diapers is a good way of knowing they are eating enough.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• I am having similar issue at a little over 3 weeks. Newborns can also have increased general fussiness at 3 weeks. I started soothing her first with swaddling etc if it hasn't been 2 hours since a feed and it helped. Also my breasts are less engorged this week I think that is normal as your supply stabilizes.
  • Thanks all! Good to know that others are experiencing similar isssues. 

I haven't been great the last few days about water, so I'll be mindful of that.  I think I'll also stop trying to pump extra to store while this is happening, if she's that hungry, it should go to her now!!!

So much of this motherhood thing is just riding the wave! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD has been cluster feeding all day today and was over the weekend too.  It's a growth spurt time.  My DD was not only eating all day but has even quite fussy the past few days too.  It's hard not to think about supply, but I'm going by her output, which is either normal or increased.

good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • also just a side note, when you're EBF the milk all goes to the baby so when you pump you're not going to get very much maybe 1/2 oz to 2 oz per pump session and really there is no need to pump unless you want to make a supply of BM for going back to work or something but it's usually not encouraged until baby is a month old. 

Like PP mentioned cluster feeding is to tell your boobs to make more so baby is doing a good job! As long as h/she is growing and gaining weight and having enough wet diapers there is no need to worry about them getting enough.

also check out kellymom.com it's a great website for all BFing questions.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Like PP said - calories & water and maybe try lactation cookies. They worked too well for me.
  • I had the same issue and tried the mother's milk tea and fenugreek pills. Nothing seemed to work. Then I found the recipe for the oatmeal lactation cookies and made them two days ago. They seem to be working. I didn't have to supplement the last two feelings like I have had to since day one and I am pumping two ounces after this morning's feeding. They are easy to make and taste like regular cookies. You can find the recipe by googling lactation cookies. Good luck! 

• I'm so glad you posted this....I've been going through the exact same thing.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"