VBAC

How much EPO??

I started drinking the RRL tea and I was going to start EPO as I am full term as of yesterday.  How much should you consume in one day and is it said to be more effective orally or vaginally?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How much EPO??

• Your midwife/OB probably has a recommended amount, but mine suggested 2 taken each way in both the morning & evening - so that's a total of 8 EPO tablets per day! I never managed to actually do that, but good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did one by mouth in the morning and one by mouth in the evening.

I started that when I was around 32 weeks (as instructed by my MW, my reason for my first section was that I failed to progress past 1cm, so no concerns about dilating). 

Anyway, when I was around 38 weeks, I started doing two vaginally at night.  I would use them vaginally in the morning, it'll all just slide out anyway (gross, I know).  

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • My CNM advised that I not use EPO because there is preliminary research that it might soften the scar.  That said, many people still use it just fine without issues.  I'd recommend going with whatever your provider suggested. 

For me, I had no trouble effacing (which is what EPO helps with).  My problem was dilating, and it doesn't help with that.  I apparently needed pit. to get that to happen.

I hope it helps get labor started for you!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • imageMAprincess:

My CNM advised that I not use EPO because there is preliminary research that it might soften the scar.  That said, many people still use it just fine without issues.  I'd recommend going with whatever your provider suggested. 

For me, I had no trouble effacing (which is what EPO helps with).  My problem was dilating, and it doesn't help with that.  I apparently needed pit. to get that to happen.

I hope it helps get labor started for you!

For some reason, to me this sounds like it would be a good thing - like it would make the scare more flexible and less likely to rupture. But I've got open ears if someone can explain why a soft scar would rupture more easily :-)

And to the OP - I'm taking 2 gelcaps orally 3x daily.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"