Special Needs
Options

How to prepare for blood work?

Any suggestions/advice on what to expect and how to handle it with my DS. He's 29 months and gets hysterical when doctors just touch and even get close. Just wanna prepare him and myself.  Tia
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How to prepare for blood work?

• Options
    Ask for their best lab person to draw the blood and ask them for tips on how to hold your child (it makes a difference). Ask for at least one other person to help hold him if you feel it will require it. If it gets to be too much for you (or him), tell them to stop and you will try again another day.  And a very important tip: Make sure he is hydrated. It CAN mean the difference of a long draw vs a short draw and the difference between getting it done at the first appt vs having to come in a 2nd time.  BTDT.  I despise blood draws for DS2.
  • Options
    We have to get #3's blood work every 3 months.  It costs more, but for us, we take him to the Children's Hospital Lab.  It is so worth it to have people that specifically deal with little kids.  They can get vials of blood SO quickly and they are fast and accurate.  It makes for a quick and relatively easy trip.
    Our Little Fur Family
    My Three Sons
    #1: 2.06 #2: 1.08 #3: 9.10

DS #3 diagnosed at birth with panhypopituitarism - lack of pituitary function. He is treated with thyroxine, hydrocortisone, growth hormone and testosterone.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I let him know what the reward is ahead of time.  Last time we went to the dollar store after and he got a few things.  Glow bracelets are always the big one.  We just go to a lab and they always have my kids skip the line so there is no waiting. It still sucked.   

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"