Dads & Dads-to-be

Something nice for DH?

Hi guys,

Sorry for barging in here with all of my lady parts...  I'm hoping you all can give me some ideas.  We are expecting our first, and I'm not very far along, but basically, my husband has been a rock star.  He has been doing the majority of the cooking, almost ALL of the cleaning and never making me feel guilty for passing out on the couch after work.  He has also been super supportive and patient when I complain about things like my clothes not fitting, and my new pregnancy zits.  I know that he is excited to be a Dad, but I also know that he is probably nervous and anxious, too, but he never really puts any of his stress on me.

Anyway, I am hoping to do something nice for him.  I tell him all the time how much I appreciate him, but I'd like to do something special to show it, too.  I'd like to take him on a weekend away or something, but money is tight with all of the upcoming baby expenses.  Any ideas?  What would you really love for your wife to do for you?

TIA!

TTC#1 since October 2012
BFP#1 EDD 9/19/13, M/C at 9wk6dy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Something nice for DH?

• No problem. We get this question all the time here.

And it is always pretty much the same answer.  You really do not have to get him anything.  Your husband sounds like he has been ready for this, so he is doing exactly what he envisioned in his mind prior to the pregnancy.

I am sure he is honored to be taking the role that he has now, and you acknowledging it is really all that he needs.  That and for you to take care of yourself and the baby.  You will find the father's and dads to be on this site take their role pretty seriously, and most of us struggle to think of a gift for the question you are asking since we really did not want one, for the most part.

I don't know how far along you are, but my wife and I took a babymoon during her second trimester.  Just an overnight trip to a nice downtown Chicago hotel.  It was awesome to have that romantic moment one last time before the little one came.  Feels like we will never get that again now!!  I would do whatever it is you can in terms of getting one last night of "the two of you" before the LO arrives.

And I might as well be the first, since it will come up soon enough.....husbands love BJ's!!!Big Smile

(Oh, you are still a long way out!)

• Loading the player...
  • imagepolooo26:

Coltsdad beat me to the links. Here's my take though.

It sounds like you want a babymoon. If money is tight then the next best thing is just a night out. If that's not even possible then cook his favorite meal, watch his favorite movie, watch a sports game with him, do whatever his favorite thing to do with him. He'll get to do his favorite thing and he'll like that you're taking an interest in it with him.

I agree... if money is an issue to where you can't go on a weekend vacation, if he's big into basketball, find a game he's really been looking forward to watching, make him his favorite meal, give him no responsibility for the night other than watching the game and enjoying his meal.  Give him a night about him... affordable, not necessarily a tangible thing, but something he'd enjoy.

• Haha, thank you!  I should have probably looked a bit deeper.  I am definitely thinking more along the lines of something nice before baby comes so that it is more about he and I than about the baby.  Maybe a BJ and a brief babymoon!  Thank you, and for what it's worth, it sounds like you're all great Dads!
    TTC#1 since October 2012
    BFP#1 EDD 9/19/13, M/C at 9wk6dy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageKimbac13:
    Haha, thank you!  I should have probably looked a bit deeper.  I am definitely thinking more along the lines of something nice before baby comes so that it is more about he and I than about the baby.  Maybe a BJ and a brief babymoon!  Thank you, and for what it's worth, it sounds like you're all great Dads!

You are right, we are great dads!!!

Hope you guys have a fun babymoon. 

• imageladyjenna13:

imageKimbac13:
    Haha, thank you!  I should have probably looked a bit deeper.  I am definitely thinking more along the lines of something nice before baby comes so that it is more about he and I than about the baby.  Maybe a BJ and a brief babymoon!  Thank you, and for what it's worth, it sounds like you're all great Dads!

You are right, we are great dads!!!

Hope you guys have a fun babymoon. 

We *are* great dads!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • imageKimbac13:

Hi guys,

Sorry for barging in here with all of my lady parts...  I'm hoping you all can give me some ideas.  We are expecting our first, and I'm not very far along, but basically, my husband has been a rock star.  He has been doing the majority of the cooking, almost ALL of the cleaning and never making me feel guilty for passing out on the couch after work.  He has also been super supportive and patient when I complain about things like my clothes not fitting, and my new pregnancy zits.  I know that he is excited to be a Dad, but I also know that he is probably nervous and anxious, too, but he never really puts any of his stress on me.

Anyway, I am hoping to do something nice for him.  I tell him all the time how much I appreciate him, but I'd like to do something special to show it, too.  I'd like to take him on a weekend away or something, but money is tight with all of the upcoming baby expenses.  Any ideas?  What would you really love for your wife to do for you?

TIA!

HA! HA! That's funny! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would say a little loving if you feel up to it.  Or just cuddle time with a thank you.  We didn't have a ton of money to do a whole lot but it was the thank yous that my wife gave me that made it worth it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Sorry, I am coming in here with my mommy self, too.

I only have about 7 weeks left before #2 is here and what I would have loved to have done for my husband is to plan a camping night with just the two of us. So here is my idea:

Grab a tent, sleeping bags, food supplies for a super unhealthy camp fire meal (hot dogs, buns, s'mores stuff) - don't let him see all the stuff in the trunk of your car if you can help it. Just have him hop in the car and take him to a great camping site maybe an hour away :)

Another idea is to check out things like Groupon! They always have really awesome deals on close-by getaway places. I think it goes without saying that most men like the outdoors - it's always fun to get a little wild with one's wife in the wilderness ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"