Breastfeeding

Tips for waking a jaundiced 1 week old for feeding

DS was 1 week old yesterday. We have been battling jaundice all week. On Monday he was admitted for light therapy and released on Tuesday. We went back for a check on Wed and again today and both times the levels were up from the day before. I know that BF more frequently can help flush his system he hasn't pooped much today, but had been fine before now but he is so sleepy. I have tried waking him up by changing his diaper but he fights taking the breast and the falls right back to sleep. He will only eat every 3 to 4 hours and I would like to feed him more often. He isn't gaining weight either. He was 8lb 5oz at birth last Wed, 7lb 11oz at release on Friday, 7lb 9oz at pedi on Monday, and was 7lb 6oz when I weighed him this afternoon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Tips for waking a jaundiced 1 week old for feeding

• We went through this with DS1. I fed every 3 hours no matter what. We always changed diaper to start. We used to wipe him down as needed with baby wipes; the cold usually jolted him awake. Also a lot of ear rubbing which worked for some reason.

It's not fun I know. Hope it gets better soon!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• We did diaper changes, wipes, tickles, pinches, cool towels and moving from side to side to try and jostle him awake.  During his awake periods I tried to just nurse him constantly for the most part.  I hope he starts picking up weight and get rid of the jaundice soon. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess my biggest frustration is that even when I do get him awake, he will not latch on unless he is ready. When he's hungry he nurses great but if no, forget it.

• Wet wipes on the back and feet worked well for Oliver. Also, if I would feel his sucking starting to slow, I would shake his cheek with my finger. Or wiggle my boob so the nipple would shake a little in his mouth. It sounds mean, but when he'd start to slow, I'd also speak slightly louder, telling him no sleeping on the job!
    Keep at it momma! He will come around. :
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a similar experience with my first. Have you seen a lactation consultant and had weighed feeding? If not, call ASAP, a LC maybe able to help. We had some suck and latch challenges, so we had to supplement with some syringe feedings. To keep baby awake, we would do skin to skin contact, diaper change in the middle and cool wash rags to the feet.
  • Just as another tip to the many already listed pressure between LO's shoulder blades would always make her uncomfortable and start sucking again, that was once she was latched. Also since it seems like your having trouble getting him to latch in the 1st place I would always make sure you are hand expressing a few drops waiting in the nipple to entice your LO.
  • My baby is 2 weeks old now and I had the same issue. I start by changing his diaper, keep him in the diaper only while attempting to feed. My little guy falls asleep too. I lightly rub his spine, flick his foot, play with the back of his ear lobe, or gently rub his head. I have to do this every other second to keep him awake. Can't wait till the day he knows my boob is there for food, not to suckle and nap on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"