March 2013 Moms

Everyone Asking about Weight Gain!

I was at a house warming this weekend and I was 31 weeks pregnant. Everyone asked me how much weight I have gained so far. I have only gained 11lbs so I told them, but jeez that made me uncomfortable. Then different ladies proceeded to tell me how that was not enough weight and I should be gaining more. My response was I am measuring exactly where I should be (slowly backed out of the room). I have never asked someone how much weight they have gained, let alone a pregnant woman. 

Re: Everyone Asking about Weight Gain!

• ugh people are so rude! Our CEO actually asks me this question regularly which is so inappropriate.. Then all the ladies in my department always say how they only gained 20 pounds their entire pregnancy. Well I am already up to 25 pounds with 6 more weeks to go so it always makes me feel so fat and uncomfortable!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • People always asked me that when I was pregnant for DS.  I found it strange too.  I didn't gain much with him (and haven't with this pregnancy either) and I always felt like I needed to make excuses for the small amount of weight gain because some of them would be like Hmm when I'd answer their question.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepukanecz:
    My response was I am measuring exactly where I should be (slowly backed out of the room).

I love it!  I would slowly back out of the room making those backup beeping noises and pretend to be a dump truck just to see if I could make the rude people uncomfortable... :-)

I find that pregnancy is a green light for people to ask you all sorts of crazy inappropriate questions, to which I always respond with crazy, inappropriate (and mostly false) answers. 

Geeky is as Geeky Does... BabyFruit Ticker
  • The one person that asks is DH aunt but I never tell her the number or how much I weight. Hey I'm lucky I let DH know my weight lol he only knows it bc he comes with me to every Doc Appt and gets to see. I was so happy last Monday that I lost 1lb but in the big picture it's nothing since I have gain like 25lbs lol 
    BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • What is up with this question? I always say the same as with DD. No way I'm throwing a number out there to be criticized for, lol. 
  • I have noticed that some women can get hostile when they hear I have only gained 10 lbs so far.   Like....seriously????

Considering my starting weight (I am a chubby girl!) gaining 10 lbs still means that I will weigh more then they did when they delivered. 

so....don't be a hater.  (Meaning THEM....telling them not to be a hater)

• ikr! ugh! I'm up 29 lbs. ppl are sooooo rude! Jeez. if u have nothing nice to say, just shut your trap. 

imagehorsevaulter:
    ugh people are so rude! Our CEO actually asks me this question regularly which is so inappropriate.. Then all the ladies in my department always say how they only gained 20 pounds their entire pregnancy. Well I am already up to 25 pounds with 6 more weeks to go so it always makes me feel so fat and uncomfortable!
  • I have said I don't know when people asked, because truthfully I didn't know until my doctor's appointment this past Monday. I didn't want to be obsessive and get on the scale all the time, and they weigh me at every apppointment anyways, so I knew my doctor would say something if I was gaining too much or too little.

Anyways, people shut up when I say I don't know, I haven't worried about it. Maybe try that?

Our little angels went to Heaven very early: 1/2012, 2/2012, 3/2012. "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord". BFP 7/12/12- EDD March 26,2013 BabyName Ticker
  • During this pregnancy one thing I have decided is that ..  In the future, when  I encounter a pregnant woman I will tell her how great she looks even if its lie !   I will never ask about about weight gain or loss, how many children she is carrying, or make a comment about the size of her belly .....    

We got to help each other here !!  At this point if someone thinks Im the size of a barn, I would much rather hear and appreciate a good ole lie ....    Just tell me I look great, make a face behind my back and walk the hell away 

5 years IF & 2 losses

~~ DS Born 2/28/2013 ~~
                8lb 13 oz 22 inches 
    Happily expecting another miracle !
     EDD 11/20

• I've gained 30 pounds so far, which my doctor says is fine. I've stopped telling people how much I've gained because I don't feel like talking about it. I have never asked a pregnant woman how much she's gained...I think it's super rude for the most part. My general manager's wife asked me if I was sure the baby was my boyfriend's (we've been together for 3 years and are engaged). If I'm not wearing my engagement ring I've been asked if I know who the father of my child is. I've been quite surprised by how rude people can be.
    pregnancy calendar
  • imagesteph620:

I have said I don't know when people asked, because truthfully I didn't know until my doctor's appointment this past Monday. I didn't want to be obsessive and get on the scale all the time, and they weigh me at every appointment anyways, so I knew my doctor would say something if I was gaining too much or too little.

THIS! I didn't know until about two weeks ago, either. I have a history of obsessing over weight, so I talked to my OB about it and told him that unless something was wrong with my weight gain, I didn't want to know. I close my eyes at the scale. Everything has been fine. I accidentally saw the number on a printout a couple of weeks ago & was surprised at how great I'm doing (I've gained about 15 lbs total, but with my pre-preg weight, that's perfect). 

I never answer questions I'm uncomfortable with, though. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"