Natural Birth
Options

My Planned Home Birth

It?s been a while since I've posted around here but I wanted to share some positive news since it seems as though we're constantly bombarded with all things negative! So here goes a very short version of my home birth story.

Everly Mae was born at 1:09AM on October 20th (the day before MY birthday!). Just 18 hours earlier I had been startled awake by my water breaking. Unfortunately yes, I was in bed so my morning was spent cleaning up that lovely mess, but it was a hurry up and wait situation because I was having very mild almost nonexistent contractions. Nothing to get very excited about. I called my midwife and doula just to let them know that sometime that weekend we would be having this baby! I also called my office to let them know I wouldn't be there. Then I continued with my normal schedule. I had a haircut planned for that afternoon but wasn't sure if I should go or not. By the time my appointment rolled around I was still feeling pretty great so I went ahead and got my hair cut as planned. Once I got back home I had plenty of time to kill so I took a nap and crocheted a hat while I watched a movie. It was a fantastic day off! That evening around 10 pm my labor picked up at which point I called my doula and asked that she head over. Can I just say again how AWESOME doula's are? She was so helpful to me. We had a great time just chatting and relaxing in-between contractions, then the moment a contraction would set in she got busy timing and would rub, coach, calm, whatever I needed her to do she was right there! So worth the money (and friendship). Also, if you don't have a birthing ball - GET ONE! That helped me SO much. I imagine I'm not the only one who says so. My contractions were irregular so we figured not much was going on because I was still feeling pretty great for the most part. They would be 5 min apart, then 7, then 3 in a row, they were really all over the place so we were waiting and watching to see what was going to happen. All of a sudden, really out of nowhere, I felt the baby's head move down. Clearly I had made it through transition and that?s when things really sped up. I felt pressure and my body had the urge to push right away but couldn't... we hadn't even called my midwife yet. My doula called my midwife right away and told her to get there immediately. In the next 15 minutes we filled the tub, got my dress off, got me into the tub, my midwife arrived, unpacked and  she wasn?t there for five minutes before Everly was born. She was out in just 3 contractions. I say contractions, because I literally did not "PUSH" this baby out. The contractions did 100% of the work for me. It was quite amazing. I had read about this before, but it was a very different sensation than the drugged epidural version of "pushing" on your back in a hospital. Night & day difference. I ended up with just a mild 1st degree tear and a beautiful baby that I pulled up and out of the water by myself. God is good! It was so exciting and quite healing to go through this experience after a terrible birth in a hospital. I am so grateful that I had access to care providers who would attend my home birth and help me do this safely.

For those of you that are getting ready for a natural birth (or home birth) I say: ?Girls, you can do this!? Natural birth is the way to go. Hands down IMO. Bonding and breastfeeding went great. I had no PPD and I?m sure the encapsulation that we did had something to do with that as well. Thanks for letting me share. I wish someone would have shared their uplifting stories with ME when I was pregnant with my first. I might have avoided a traumatic experience had I prepared a little better and had a little more confidence in myself and my body.

Good luck to you all & happy birthing! Cool

ETA: I didn't think to mention in my original post, but Everly had an immediate serene disposition. When she was born, it was amazing how calm yet alert she was! She didn't let out her first cry until she was several hours old. She coughed once or twice to clear her throat but she was mostly silent just takint it all in. I just loved that part. No screaming, crying, terrified baby being rubbed & jostled all over the place. She felt safe & secure from minute one. Very happy! Smile

EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1 photo EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1-1_zps6c64b4ff.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My Planned Home Birth

• Options

What a beautiful story!  Congratulations mama!  Love the pictures, just breathtaking!

Your story illustrates how perfectly ordinary, yet extraordinary birth can be!  Enjoy your little bundle!   

• Options
    What a great story! I have been doubting myself lately but you made me feel so excited! Your daughter is beautiful :)
    photo 10ebb789-afb8-45aa-93a6-7e8da795dd51_zpse91502e6.jpg
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What an awesome story! Congratulations! :) 
    dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageallierhiana1:
    Thanks for sharing. I hope to have a HB for my next, but DH is not on board. Do you have any advice?

My DH wasn't on board at first either. He was going to go along with it because I wanted a home birth, but he didn't have a positive outlook. That really changed when he went with me to meet my doula. He was really impressed by her and her knowledge. From that point on (early 2nd tri) He was way more supportive. I also sent him links to articles, video's and anything positive that I could get my hands on. I really wanted to stay away from anything that might scare him and that helped little by little until he was ready that day. I also think that having a doula took 99% of the pressure off of him. He stood back and let the professionals take care of business. He just cleaned the house and warmed water for the tub lol. That was a job he COULD handle :) 

I hope it works out for you next time! 

EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1 photo EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1-1_zps6c64b4ff.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations!  What beautiful photos!  Natural birthing is wonderful and you make me so excited for my homebirth this time around!  Thanks for sharing.
    IAmPregnant TickerBabyFruit TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    What a fantastic, uplifting birth story! Just beautiful, and the pictures are terrific. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Options
    Lovely story, thanks for sharing!  Looks like you had a water birth - what kind of tub is that? Looks spiffy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageOrangeGrove:
    Lovely story, thanks for sharing!  Looks like you had a water birth - what kind of tub is that? Looks spiffy!

It was an Oasis tub. I got it from www.inhishands.com It was very soft and plenty deep :) 

• Options
    Beautiful story, beautiful baby!! Congrats all around mama- you did great!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options
    Congrats!  You had a beautiful birth and I hope you are enjoying your LO!
  • Options
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing! Great to hear a positive natural birth story :)
  • Options
    What a beautiful natural birth story.  Thank you so much for sharing and congratulations!
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your incredible story and congratulations!!  And thank you for the encouragement at the end.  :)  I really appreciated reading that paragraph and found it to be very... motivating. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"