Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

11 months old and only two teeth??

My eleven month old has only the two bottom teeth ( they came in at 7 months old).....Should I get worried? Is anyone in the same boat? He also doesn't seem ready for finger foods...he just wants to eat food if it is mashed...Would this be because of his lack of teeth?

TYA

Re: 11 months old and only two teeth??

• Options
    My lil guy (11 mo) doesn't have any teeth.  Dentist told me yesterday it's actually better for teeth to come in later because with a larger jaw there is more room for them to come through causing less discomfort.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

By 11 months, DS will only have two bottom teeth unless something pops out in the next few weeks.  He didn't get his first tooth until probably 9 months.  I was worried about finger foods too because of lack of teeth, but was told they can mash things with their gums really well so I've been introducing more finger foods, just making sure the pieces are small and can be easily mashed.

All and all, though, it's my understanding that being slow to get teeth is not something to worry about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

As with most other things, there's a wide range of "normal" for when babies reach certain milestones. I have a friend whose first child didn't get his first tooth until 11 months and then her second child got her first tooth at 5 months. Both are totally normal. :)

Also, most chewing is done with molars, which few babies have by 11 months anyway. They just mash things with their gums, so they can eat finger foods even with no teeth. 

• Options
    My dd is 10 mos and toothless!
  • Options
    My DD is 12mo and only has her 2 bottom front teeth.  Our ped isn't concerned.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    Our pediatrician said they only worry if the babe has zero teeth by 14 or 15 months. 
  • Options

Our LO only has two bottom teeth as well. It's fine.

That probably doesn't have much to do with him wanting to have his food mashed up. OUr LO has a similar issue but it's more that he has issues with textures. There are plenty of babies that don't have many teeth that will eat solids.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Same with my DS. My first had only two teeth until he was 13 months old. It's totally ok!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Don't worry the teeth will come.  DS is also 11 months with only the 2 bottom teeth.  One of the tops is just starting to poke through.  They have been a lot more troublesome for him than they were for DD but nothing a little ibuprofen doesn't take care of.

ETA: NO, not having teeth doesn't have to do with being ready for finger foods or not.  We've gone straight to finger foods with both kids and neither even had 1 tooth yet when they began eating table foods.  It is amazing how tough and hard gums are.  Also, once the pincer grasp is good (around 7/8 months for my kids) I just dice stuff up and they gobble up BBQ chicken, steak, veggies, you name it!  DS has only two teeth and often eats all his plate + half of DDs plate at dinner these days.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    DD will be 11 months in a couple of days and her second bottom tooth JUST poked through.  She eats a lot of what we eat, just broked up into small pieces for her!  She mashes it up with her gums.  Our ped said his record for no teeth was 17 months. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo c15e5de6-d798-4a98-9644-9987af04720b_zpsa920caa6.jpg
  • Options
    Same here 11 month and he only has 2 bottom teeth!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"