Babies: 9 - 12 Months

coughing...ahhhh!

Last Friday, I was sick with a nasty coldsinus thing, well DS woke up with a nasty cough. I took him to the Pedi that gave the all clear on ears, chest, sinuses. The very next morning, DS had a fever of 103.5. I immediately called Pedi again, and again. ..all clear! Fast forward to today, DS is coughing more than the initial onset, but normal temps for the last 4 days. No dehydration, no diarrhea, but, we have the top 2 front teeth coming in very visibly. He usually has a slight cough when teething in the past, but not like the current cough very phlegmy sounding. Not a constant cough, but last night was the first time it disrupted sleep. I am clearing his nose extremely often, baby vicks on feet, humidifier running, pushing liquids like I'm getting paid by the ounce to do so...what else can I do? I'm also sanitizing house, toys like its a freakin surgical environment. I should also mention DS is still ripping and running, smiling and cruising like usual, just napping a bit longer after playing. Thoughts? Teething and cold at once? How concerned should I be? Called the Pedi again yesterday and they said, no fever and clear mucus, wait to see what happens? Wtf does that mean?? I don't want it to get worse...help!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: coughing...ahhhh!

• I'm sorry, I would feel the same way you do if my DD was going through that.  I would say keep doing the humidifier and try not to worry.  My pedi said coughs can last 2-3 WEEKS.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It no fun when LO is sick, but relax!  You'll both get through this OK.  If his fever comes back (and is high) and his cough gets worse, than you should worry, but until then, let it run its course.  I don't worry to much when DS gets sick unless his mood changes and has a higher fever. 

Also, my pedi said to give saline in their nose at every diaper change if they are congested - it helps clear it out for them.  He also said not to suction their noses unless their is a visible boogie that you can't get w/ a kleenex - the more you suction the more your irritate & prolong.

I treat DS's colds like I would my own.  If I'm feeling really punky, more than a low grade fever that won't break, and green colored phlegm, then I'll call the Dr.  Clear & yellow phlegm = virus.  Green phlegm/snot = bacterial infection (usually).  

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the suggestions and support ladies. UPDATE: We've made it through the storm. The teeth have cut through and the cold is subsiding. Still a cough, but a lot less night discomfort from it and daytime it's pretty infrequent also runny nose not nearly as bad.

Whew! I was a basket case over the last week. Still keeping an eye on the cough and checking for signs of ear infection since they tend to follow colds and teething, but much better. Cool mist humidifier....AMAZING!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"