Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How much is to much to eat?

LO is 3 weeks old and seems to be eating us out of house and home! During the day she eats around 3oz every 3-4 hours. At night is eats 4oz every 2-3 hours! She eats a ton at night!! Is that normal?  What is a normal amount for a 3 week old to eat?
Married My Best Friend 5/21/2010
Madison Paige arrived 1/8/2013

Re: How much is to much to eat?

• I can't remember what LO ate when he was 3 weeks, but once they hit 4 weeks, they should be getting roughly 24 oz in 24 hours, and it sounds like she's close to that.  If you want to get more sleep at night, I'd suggest feeding her a bit more aggressively during the day (and specifically in the evening) and she might go longer stretches at night.
    4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Every baby is different, but this sounds almost identical to how DD is eating right now. As long as LO isn't throwing up, etc then that's what your LO needs right now... Babys generally don't over eat.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is 3 weeks old and he eats 3.5-4 oz every 3 hours like clockwork, give or take 15 minutes. Our pedi says as long as he's not spitting up a lot, its perfectly normal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS eats 2oz every 2 hours and every 3 hours at night. It's crazy but they need lots of food! I wouldn't worry about overfeeding.

• Are you feeding her breast milk or formula? DD is on breast milk (bottle fed) and when she was 3 weeks, she was eating 2.5 - 3 ounces every 90 minutes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"