LGBT Parenting

Crazy emotional day

Hey everyone, I just needed somewhere to get this all out with people who might understand what I'm going through. If you read it all, you deserve a cookie :)

This is our first cycle. I took ten days of prometrium and had on & off spotting/possible period but when I called my clinic they took days to get back to me. By the time they did it had stopped, so they told me to wait two weeks and call back if a full period didn't show up. So two weeks later, no period. I called the clinic back and they confirmed that I likely had missed my period :( I was so upset. The nurse said I would have to wait 30 days from that spotting/bleeding before I could start prometrium again, so basically it would be March before we'd do our first insemination. I told the nurse that I was upset because I felt like I missed my window this month because they were so slow getting back to me so she said she'd talk to the doctor and get back to me. I hang up very frustrated and have a good cry. I know it's not that awful and nothing compared to what other people have gone through, but I was just feeling so sad about having missed it.
So the nurse calls me back a short while later and says the doctor wants me to come in for an ultrasound tomorrow at 9:15am. If I don't have a lining to shed then I will sit with the IUI nurse and discuss but likely I would start clomid tomorrow and possibly have my insemination as soon as Feb 10th. If I do have a lining to shed then I would have to wait a bit for it to build up and then take the prometrium.
Talk about a down & up hour! I'm feeling a bit better but trying not to get my hopes up about what could happen tomorrow. In the craziness I forgot to ask WHERE I was going for the ultrasound - the clinic has moved since the last one I had an ultrasound with them and I didn't know if I would go to the clinic first, the lab, a different lab, etc. Got that all sorted though.

Reading this board makes me feel less alone (and hopeful when I see all the pregnancies and adorable babies around here) so thanks :)

Re: Crazy emotional day

• JGYJGY member

In my experience, NOTHING was more frustrating and rage inducing than feeling like my already-complicated and difficult process of TTC was being hampered by a lack of care, consideration, or sense of urgency on the part of people who were being PAID to help me!

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I don't have a ton of suggestions for you, as my solution was to switch providers (or at least start that process, I ended up getting a BFP on my last insem at that clinic though I had already sought out a second opinion and was following their protocol).  But I did find that asking for a timeline to hear back on my questions did seem to help me get those calls on time.  And if they didn't come, I felt perfectly justified in calling and asking for them since I knew they were "Late."

Don't be afraid to reach out for alternate opinions or to search for information on your exact type of situation.  Sometimes just reading back posts on the TTTC board, or IF board can arm you with more information and understanding.

Good luck!  And trust me, you're not alone.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• It's frustrating because for the most part they are actually pretty good at getting back, but you never get a person so it's a matter of leaving a message and waiting for a call back every.single.time. Double frustrating because my only other option would be a clinic 3.5hrs away, so not really an option.

Thank you for the reply though, it's easy for me to forget there are other people going through similar (if not exactly the same) things out there, because I don't know anyone IRL who is dealing with it. Of course my two sisters got pregnant easily with little planning (one sister was on BC, used a condom AND got the morning after pill with her son).
  • Loading the player...
  • JGYJGY member

Well I'm sorry that you are so isolated geographically.  That must be extra frustrating.  Definitely do check out other peoples' stories. I know it's nice to be able to see a like experience from another same-sex couple, but honestly there are tons of straight couples on these boards that have really similar experiences.  And reading their comments and questions can be truly enlightening.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• The sad thing is I'm not really isolated geographically, there just aren't many options out here.
    I find great comfort in reading other people's stories and comments/questions. I have learned so much from these boards and it has made me feel like I have a better handle on things for sure.
  • Well I went for my ultrasound this morning. They were able to get me in a little early which was nice. The doctor who did the ultrasound has ZERO bedside manner and did her thing then just said "Okay, a nurse will see you to discuss" and walked out the door. :/ Anyway, the nurse said that everything looks good and I can actually start my clomid today. I've got some ultrasounds booked the week after next and as long as everything goes as it should my first insem will be sometime around the 16th. Right now I'm not totally sure how to feel - I know I should be excited but my mind just goes to what's next.
  • Ugh. There is nothing worse that poor bedside manner. Don't they teach this in med school? I hope things start to look up for you. Just remember you can always choose a different provider before your next cycle if you feel like your care is poor. I would start asking around for referrals in your area! Best of luck to you. 

Maybe you won't even need it because you will get a BFP around the 16th :)  

Married my soulmate on 10.1.11; One furbaby, Emma the cat; Madly in love and Just starting our journey on the TTC path! Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • It's awful! She's not my usual doctor at the clinic but she was the one doing the ultrasounds this morning. My only other dealing with her was also negative so it's a bummer. The unfortunate thing like I said is that there are really no other care providers in my area to go to. Most of the doctors at the clinic are really great though so I'll just try to suck it up. Thanks for the luck thoughts, hopefully it works out this cycle!
  • Well it certainly has to be frustrating! I hope you won't need to do anything about it and this one takes. If you do have to have another cycle, I would say just to try and request your favorites for your next appointment. Best of luck to you!!!
    Married my soulmate on 10.1.11; One furbaby, Emma the cat; Madly in love and Just starting our journey on the TTC path! Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"