Baby Names
Options

Boy name help-which flows better?

I've posted in the past but none of my previous choices are going to work out. I'd really like to decide on a name for this little boy soon so I'm not stressing about it next month during labor.  I think DH and I are finally both on board now for the first name Asher...but now we can't agree on a middle name now.  This might change again...but which sounds better?

Asher Wesley Smith or Asher Dain Smith?? Or do you have any other middle name ideas that might flow well? Wesley and Dain have some background for us and would be more meaningful...but I was not sure about the syllables...if a middle name with 1 or 2 syllables would go better between the first and last.  I kinda wanted a 3 syllable middle name, but can't think of one that would be meaningful and could not find any on his family tree. 

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance

Re: Boy name help-which flows better?

• Options
    Asher Wesley Smith

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagehoku82:

I've posted in the past but none of my previous choices are going to work out. I'd really like to decide on a name for this little boy soon so I'm not stressing about it next month during labor.  I think DH and I are finally both on board now for the first name Asher...but now we can't agree on a middle name now.  This might change again...but which sounds better?

Asher Wesley Smith or Asher Dain Smith?? Or do you have any other middle name ideas that might flow well? Wesley and Dain have some background for us and would be more meaningful...but I was not sure about the syllables...if a middle name with 1 or 2 syllables would go better between the first and last.  I kinda wanted a 3 syllable middle name, but can't think of one that would be meaningful and could not find any on his family tree. 

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance

Between the two, Asher Dain.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Both flow about equally well.  My favorite of the two middle names is Wesley (in fact, we're considering that as a first name if we have a boy).  I do think Asher Dain Smith sounds just the teensiest bit better, but maybe that's because I've gotten so used to the 2-1-1 syllable structure, as our top girls' name would be Clara Joy Grey.  I think as long as ONE of the names has a different number of syllables, then the flow is fine.  I wouldn't like Asher Wesley Bronson, or Max Dain Smith, but both your choices are very good.

For me, finding a meaningful middle name trumps having perfect "flow," so I'd stick with one of your choices.  Yeah it's nice if a name is 3-2-1, or 2-3-1.  Our son's name (Julius Arthur Grey) fits that rule.  We tried to find a three-syllable middle name for Clara that we love as much as Joy (which is an important family middle) -- we considered Clara Gwendolen Grey or Clara Josephine Grey or Clara Anneliese Grey -- but ultimately we decided that Clara Joy Grey, though not as exciting and rhythmically pleasing, is really the most meaningful name for us.

Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Asher Dain. But Wesley is nice too.
    Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

LOVE Asher! I just added it to my list last week...and DH vetoed it days later. :( Then a friend named her son Asher just the other day. I don't know any other IRL.

I prefer Asher Dain. I agree with the PP who says meaning trumps flow (syllables etc).

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • Options

imagekyssmi88sd:
    Asher Wesley Smith

This. Other mn suggestions:

Asher Matthew

Asher Benjamin

Asher Christopher

Asher Thomas

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Asher Wesley Smith is nice name, I say go with it. Big Smile
  • Options
    Asher Dain Smith
  • Options

I really like both your options and think they both flow well. I'd pick the one with the most significance, personally.

Love Asher. 

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    Asher Wesley!
  • Options

LOVE Asher!!!

I like Asher Dane but Dain looks funny to me, I assume it's a family last name spelled that way?  Anyway, Asher Dain gets my vote.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Asher Wesley!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options
    Both are nice. I prefer the flow of Asher Dain but only if you can spell it Dane.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

thanks for all the input! i appreciate it! I think we are going with asher dain...but will give it a week or two before making it official to make sure we really like it since we've changed our minds so many times.  I think this one is going to stick this time though.  Its such a relief to have something picked out...i've been stressed about it since our original name (Owen) kinda got taken by dh's brother/sister-in-law a few months ago....but I think owen and asher will sound good together since they will be first cousins and the first grandchildren and only a couple weeks apart in age-since family and grandparents and stuff will constantly group them together. 

yeah...i prefer the spelling dane since its a more traditional spelling...but dain is a family name so we will spell it that way since its in the middle name slot anyway and so wont be used much.  I recently learned that there is a minor but important character in the book The Hobbit named Dain...so that makes me like it a little more now since dh is a big Tolkien fan and we are kind of nerds so it kind of fits. 

thanks again.

• Options
    Another vote for Asher Wesley
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"