Cloth Diapering

thinking about switching to CD

Do you have to use special detergent (sp?) for washing? What kind do you use and how do you wash your load? Also what are your favorite CD im thinking of doing pockets and AIO?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: thinking about switching to CD

• I have a lot of different things I like. I thought I'd hate prefolds and covers and come to find out it's my favorite when we're home. I love my Kawaiis, especially overnight. I like my sunbabys for when we go out. They are super trim and really cute prints, plus they never leak. I have a drybees fleece diaper that I love for overnight.

We use Tide powder (Free and Clear). I thought the perfumes were too strong. 

image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Welcome!

I use either Tide powder or Country Save. In my front load washer & I do a hot quick wash without detergent (my rinse & spin is cold only and I felt that hot works better) and then a hot heavy duty wash with the detergent and a pre-programmed extra rinse.

I like prefolds with Bummis covers and pockets (BG 4.0, Swaddlebees and Kawaii are my favorites). I do not use AIOs because they take too long to dry for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I use soap nuts from Green Virgin Products in FL for all my laundry, but started on them because of cloth diapering! I do a cold wash and then a hot wash. I use OxyBoost on occasion in the hot wash and will do a cold rinse afterwards.

I have a mixture of prefolds, flats, fitteds, and some AIOs. I really like Green Mtn. Diapers for the prefolds and flats, as well as doublers (love the hemp and sherpa cotton). I really like Babee Greens fitted diapers for night time, along with their wool liners. As for AIOs, I have several BumGenius Elementals, but really like the one Swaddlebees Simplex that I have.

When it comes to covers, I like Thirsties Duo and BG Flips. I do like Bummis for smaller sizes, but in the long run they aren't the best bag for your buck. I really want to try out the Swaddlebees Capri as it is sort of a cross between the Flip and Duo. I also have some wool covers for night use and love them!

In my opinion, pocket style diapers are useful for daycare settings. If you make them your stash at home, you will probably get tired of stuffing really quickly!

Best of luck as you look at switching over!

• We either use Ecos "free and clear" or Rockin Green to wash our diapers. 

I do a cold rise, then hot wash with detergent and then another cold rinse and spin.

We only use pockets (although we're adding prefolds now). Our stash consists of Kawaii's, Charlie Banana and I've splurged on a few Etsy diapers. I love our Kawaii's although they are very bulky on our baby. He's only 8 weeks though. He weighs over 12 lbs and is 24 inches long.. at least he'll grow into them! That's always promising!

Charlie Banana is ok. I liked how they are less bulky, until he totally leaked poop out of one this morning. Not sure if it was just by chance or what. Hopefully, because they fit nicely on him!

For the price, I love Kawaii Diapers!

image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The main thing about detergent is that you want to avoid enzymes, brighteners, perfumes, etc. as much as possible. I used Country Save when I started out, and it worked great. It's not available in the UK where I live now, but I am able to get Tiny Bubbles which is very similar.

Here is a good place to start for info on detergents: https://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

I have hard water so I do warm rinse w/ Calgon, Hot wash w/ detergent + Calgon, extra rinse. Occasionally I do an extra hot water strip as well.

I'm one of those people who has a bunch of different things in my stash. 24 GMD prefolds and about a dozen pockets and AIOs. I love the prefolds because they are economical and I never have a blowout. I use pockets and AIOs when we are out and about, since they are a bit easier to get on DS if we don't have a decent changing table available to us. I can't recommend the pockets because they tend to leak. For AIOs I love Swaddlebees Simplex OS. We use them with the fleece layer next to DS, since he can be sensitive to wet.

• Thanks for everyones advice i hope i like cloth diapering :)
  • imagelondonellemarie:
    Thanks for everyones advice i hope i like cloth diapering :)

I'm in your same boat, and the lovely ladies on this board directed me to a great video series to check out to get the FULL CD 101 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6SMebcX8

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagechlsbshp:

imagelondonellemarie:
    Thanks for everyones advice i hope i like cloth diapering :)

I'm in your same boat, and the lovely ladies on this board directed me to a great video series to check out to get the FULL CD 101 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6SMebcX8

i watched that yesterday someone on my month board told me about its awesome so much good info
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"