May 2013 Moms
Options

And I was just told I am "big"

I don't know what it is about pregnancy that makes people think they can say whatever they want.  I was filling up my glass at the water cooler at work and someone walked by and said "wow, you're really getting big."  Ummmm.....thanks.....that just made me feel so much better about myself.  I don't mind it when people say I am showing or something to that affect, but the word "big" just rubs me the wrong way. 

Last week I was in the kitchen getting food out of the refrigerator (mind you it was a salad that consisted of lettuce, tomato & cucumber) and someone was in there and I joked "lunch #2."  The person who was in there said "yeah, and lunch #2 is really starting to show."  I guess I shouldn't have joked?

Re: And I was just told I am "big"

• Options

That is so rude!!! I just can't get used to how the filter on what is acceptable to say to another person just disappears when it comes to pregnancy.

I went to seminar a couple of weeks ago and ran into a girl that I haven't seen in 2 months and the first thing she said was "I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I can't believe how huge you've gotten!" Now, I don't mind it when people say that my *BELLY* grew, but referring to my whole body as "huge" just makes me feel really self-conscious.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've had so many people tell me how "tiny" I am. One woman that I was talking to today didn't believe that I was pregnant...um, really? That really bothers me, too because I automatically start thinking that I'm not eating enough, that I'm starving my baby, etc.

Why can't people just not say ANYTHING related to our size??? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageCBL23:

Last week I was in the kitchen getting food out of the refrigerator (mind you it was a salad that consisted of lettuce, tomato & cucumber) and someone was in there and I joked "lunch #2."  The person who was in there said "yeah, and lunch #2 is really starting to show."  I guess I shouldn't have joked?

Just to add one more thing.....I think comments like this one are especially rude because it sounds like we're gaining weight because of the food we're eating, and not because there's a freaking human being growing inside of us!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageGradMommyToBe:

That is so rude!!! I just can't get used to how the filter on what is acceptable to say to another person just disappears when it comes to pregnancy.

I went to seminar a couple of weeks ago and ran into a girl that I haven't seen in 2 months and the first thing she said was "I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I can't believe how huge you've gotten!" Now, I don't mind it when people say that my *BELLY* grew, but referring to my whole body as "huge" just makes me feel really self-conscious.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've had so many people tell me how "tiny" I am. One woman that I was talking to today didn't believe that I was pregnant...um, really? That really bothers me, too because I automatically start thinking that I'm not eating enough, that I'm starving my baby, etc.

Why can't people just not say ANYTHING related to our size??? 

Wow, just no filter what so ever? Saying a person is huge whether or not they are pregnant just isn't ok....at least in my book. And I do realize people don't mean it meanly when they are saying it. Every time it happens I just kind of look at the person and say "thanks....." but obviously not really thanking them. And the comment back is "well isnt' that what is supposed to happen when you're pregnant."

• Options
    My answer to them, is well whats your excuse then???? I hate rude people, like as if us pregnant woman don't have enough to deal with.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The first comment sounds like a compliment--you're growing a baby and it's showing.  YAY!  Go you!  You're doing a good job and baby is growing properly.

The second comment was obnoxious.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

That's nothing.  The polish woman I work with, who looks like Quasimodo said to me the other day, "Hello, Chubby"..... Ummmmm... PP Weight was 134.  CW at 23 weeks-152... 

ETA- I didn't even read the second part about the second lunch joke.  WTF?!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

My MIL said something like this to me the last time I saw her. She said "Wow you keep getting bigger every time I see you". For the record this was on a Sunday and I had seen her on the Wednesday prior.

My response was "it is one of the side effects of growing a baby". The look on her face was priceless. 

To be honest when it comes to comments about my weight I have no issue being a snide b!tch to the person. I struggled for years with my weight (which my family, friends and in-laws know) and I lost about 30 lbs before getting pregnant. I lost the weight got to enjoy my skinnier self for about a month before finding out we were expecting (we were both over the moon). That being said it's a lot to adjust to having to gain all the weight back and then some. They also know this and if they choose to say something about my weight I have no issue putting them in their place or making it as awkward as possible for them.

I mean, I am growing a human, what the heck is their excuse? 

image"Image">imageAnniversaryimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"