Breastfeeding
Options

STM- anyone had difficulty with first, but able to BF with second?

I'm 33 weeks pregnant.  I could not make enough milk for our  first child, but was wondering if the second time around could be different.  It was completely a supply problem, because my son was a great nurser!  What have been your experiences?

Re: STM- anyone had difficulty with first, but able to BF with second?

• Options
    Our pedi says STMs are often dripping in milk since they're bodies know what to do. GL
  • Options

I don't have personal experience, but I have many friends and acquaintances who had an easier time the second time around.

That being said, I think your best bet would be to read a TON (kellymom.com, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, this board and others, etc.) to really arm yourself with information. Unfortunately many people are given bad advice by well-meaning family members, friends, and even pediatricians/OBs and then find themselves struggling with BFing as a result. I read many women on these boards writing "if I had only known" or "next time, I'll try x, y, z" or similar sentiments.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I personally don't have experience with this but I go to a breastfeeding support group and there is a woman there who is successfully BFing her second LO after not being able to nurse her first due to supply issues.

Find a LC and get connected with a local support group it will help. Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options
    I struggled with supply issues for DD. I was able to EBF her for 6 months, but it was a struggle and she didn't gain weight well.

This time no issues so far! I havn't pumped yet so I don't really know how much milk I'm making, but DS is gaining a ton of weight and growing like a weed, so I'm sure it's enough!

GL
    and i thought i loved you then <3<a href="http://daisypath.com/">Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Missed Miscarriage discovered at 9w6d
    D&E 10.27.2011
    I'll love you forever Baby Speck Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I could not nurse my first one at all. Major supply issues. With this LO, I had alot better knowledge going in (Kelly Mom, PP already said it) and have had a pretty good experience. I still have some supply issues that I am dealing with, and I have had to supplement to make ends meet, but it has been really worth while in general.

Make sure you have alot of support, (family, friends, support group) and lots of info, and ask anything on this board. They are fellow mommies who have been there! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I EPed with my son and struggled to maintain my supply.....at the 4 month mark, I had to start supplementing and by 6 months it was game over.

With my second, she nursed much better and I actually had an oversupply, which caused its own set of problems.  I'm now sitting on a 500 oz freezer stash at nearly 5 months and no noticeable drop in supply yet.  So yes, there is hope!

Yep. I couldn't nurse DS, but this time has been a complete breeze. I am so happy about it. 

ETA: I will say that I am much more educated in what to expect from BFing. I have also done a LOT of research. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, the first time I ended up EPing and supplementing but this time BFing has gone much better.  It's totally possible.

image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"