Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

This sleep issue is going to kill us.....pure exhaustion!

So we transitioned to a bed a couple weeks ago--- and some nights haven't been too bad (sometimes will go to sleep with someone sitting in his room after about 15  min)--but many times it takes longer.  And he will only seem to fall asleep if DH is in the room as he thinks if I am in the room it's snuggle time and play time.  Ugh.

BUT what's worse is many times in the middle of the night (probably 4 out of 7 days a week)--he's waking up SEVERAL times and screaming for me.  If I go in to the room he'll walk back to his bed but I have to sit in his room for almost 45 min before he'll fall asleep.  Same for if DH goes in.

I'm exhausted and so is DH who is helping out right now.  We can't really let him completely CIO because DS1 is across the hall and really needs his sleep for school.  We have a night light, we've tried leaving a very dim lamp on, he has that musical seahorse thingy that plays music.  He has his blankies.  I just don't get it.

I don't think he's got an ear infection because he'll let me touch his ears and normally when he's had one he won't.  No fevers.  Don't see new teeth coming in. 

Any tips?????  Something I haven't tried? 

FYI--we keep his room gated and close the door but don't shut it all the way.  When he is screaming in the middle of the night, sometimes we have closed the door and he just bangs on it. 

Re: This sleep issue is going to kill us.....pure exhaustion!

• How old is he? Do you think maybe its too soon for him? I haven't transitioned my lo yet but I am curious at what age you did so...
  • Why did he transition from the crib? ( not sure of the whole story).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebsmiley2280:
    How old is he? Do you think maybe its too soon for him? I haven't transitioned my lo yet but I am curious at what age you did so...

I have to update my siggy--but he's 20 months.  I didn't want to transition him this young--but DH basically put up a bed and took down the crib before I could stop him.  We transitioned ds1 at 22 mos because he climbed out of crib. 

• Oh okay, my son is also 20 months and I don't think he is even close to being ready. Or maybe it's me who's not ready, lol! I think maybe he's just still a little small and could be frightened of the new bed. The crib could've made him feel very secure and he could be missing that now. Does he have a blankie or any other type of security item?
  • imagebsmiley2280:
    Oh okay, my son is also 20 months and I don't think he is even close to being ready. Or maybe it's me who's not ready, lol! I think maybe he's just still a little small and could be frightened of the new bed. The crib could've made him feel very secure and he could be missing that now. Does he have a blankie or any other type of security item?

I think my DH thought it was time because DS2 was waking a lot in the night because he was banging against the sides of the crib.  He's kind of a big boy.  The bed he got was DS1's bed who DS2 loves to hop up on--so it's 'new' to his room, but he's actually known the bed. 

He has a security blanket and tons of his fave stuffed animals--you name it.  And we also use a sound machine.

• If he wasn't climbing out yet I'd have DH put the crib back in the room.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If things were going well with the crib, bring it back!
    SAHM to Eli, born 11.26.11
  • No brainer, put him back in the crib and keep him in there until it becomes a safety issue from him climbing out, or he's too big to be in there.  The closer he is to age 3 the easier it will be on both him and you.  They have no impulse control, or very little, at this age.  CIO would probably work, but honestly, if he was sleeping in the crib, why put him, or yourselves through any unnecessary stress?  Tell DH the crib is coming back!
  • My DS is about to turn 19 months, sleeps great, and hasnt tried climbing out of the crib.. we have NO plans to switch him to the toddler bed any time soon.

20 months is still young, and he may just not be ready yet. I'd put the crib back up. I'd actually be furious with DH if he made that decision alone!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"