June 2013 Moms
Options

Classes...Are you doing any?

Childbirth, Breastfeeding, Newborn Care..to do or not to do? Or reading the books only?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Classes...Are you doing any?

• Options
    Being a FTM, I am taking some classes and reading books. DH and I have signed up for childbirth, lactation, and an infant safety/CPR class. I won't ever be able to convince him to read books on baby-related things, but going to classes will help him be informed and involved.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is my 3rd baby so we're not doing any but I do read a TON of books still.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think we'll do any. Call me naive but I think we'll figure things out.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options
    Neither of us have any experience with small babies, so we're taking a newborn care and behavior class as well as an infant CPR class.  I'm debating a breastfeeding class, or I might look up my local La Leche League for a meeting instead of the hospital classes.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Options
    I never did, just read books.

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• Options

We adopted our son, so we already took a newborn care and CPR class.  I would recommend them. 

We're signed up to take a childbirth, breastfeeding and sibling class.  I'm most excited to take our son to the sibs class!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    We are doing a breastfeeding class for sure. H wants to do the childcare class too so we're doing that as well. I don't think we'll do the childbirth class, everyone I talked to said it was useless.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've read a couple of books but we're not doing any classes or anything special.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    There's a free online class on babycenter.com that we're probably going to do. I just don't want to spend $85+ on a class I might not be able to use considering I won't know if I need a c section until later when we see if baby girl has positioned herself correctly.
  • Options
    Haven't signed up for any yet, but plan on taking a 4 week (one night a week) childbirth class, a breastfeeding class, and a newborn care class.  I may do infant cpr etc now that people have mentioned it.  We are first time parents and haven't been around babies a ton.  Also there is a breast feeding support group at our hospitals that my friends have recommended.
    ~~~TTC #1 since Dec 2011, BFP 5/3 CP 5/6~~~
    ~~~BFP 10/9/12, EDD 6/17/13~~~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

When I was a FTM, the only class that I took was the infant CPR class.  I didn't take any other classes and I felt just fine. I didn't feel the need to take any others.  I think the infant CPR class was very important.

This time around, I'm still not taking any additional ones. 

imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

My thinking exactly...and it worked out just fine for me the first time around.  I also don't really believe in "birth plans" either. Nothing goes as planned.

imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With DS we took a hypnobirthing class loved it! We also took infant CPR. That was it.
    We said "I Do" on 9/27/2008!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am in my 5th week of prenatal yoga, which I am really enjoying....and DH and I are in our 4th week of prenatal classes.

I read a ton of books as well!!!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    My Dr office offers a free 4 week course that covers labor, childcare and safety. We plan to do that. They also have a breastfeeding class. I'm still unsure on that one.

• Options
    First time around, we took childbirth and learned 511 rule, best ways to labor, etc. it made me less nervous about childbirth, which I wasn't too worked up about. We took a basic newborn care class which was good for my husband, I already knew most of the content but there were some factoids that were helpful. And then he joined me for a BF class, which was not helpful, BF is such a personal experience and I had to figure it out on my own.

We also did infant CPR training, which is the very least I would recommend to anybody. We did this at our town hall and got to meet our daycare teachers there, since some of them wee renewing certification.
  • Options
    Im taking a Birthing class, breast feeding, newborn care and CPR classes, all offered by my hospital. I'm considering taking a hypnobirthing class too.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm also a FTM and we signed up for birth classes before we told anyone in our family we were expecting. OUr classes don't start until March, but I am excited to meet with other expecting mothers and learn about LO and the labor process. We also registered for infant CPR, Happiest Baby on the Block and Daddy Bootcamp as they were included in combined group class price of $175.00.
  • Options
    We're taking Bradley, infant CPR and first aid, breastfeeding, and baby care basics.  It's a lot, but my DH has zero experience with babies and I'm planning a med free birth so I just want to be as prepared as possible. 
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageCarolynL8:
    imageAZAmy77:
    Haven't signed up for any yet, but plan on taking a 4 week one night a week childbirth class, a breastfeeding class, and a newborn care class.nbsp; I may do infant cpr etc now that people have mentioned it.nbsp; We are first time parents and haven't been around babies a ton.nbsp; Also there is a breast feeding support group at our hospitals that my friends have recommended.
    Im not sure if your hospital is the same as mine but CPR is part of the Taking Care of Baby course at my hospital. However, i do not know if we actually get certified. Something i need to look into.

Didn't think of this. I will ask when I call to schedule!  Thanks!

~~~TTC #1 since Dec 2011, BFP 5/3 CP 5/6~~~
    ~~~BFP 10/9/12, EDD 6/17/13~~~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageFuzzy21:

imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

My thinking exactly...and it worked out just fine for me the first time around.  I also don't really believe in "birth plans" either. Nothing goes as planned.

I feel better now. Plus, those classes are pricey! My only birth plan is to labor at home as long as possible because I don't want to sit in the hospital forever.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Options

Last time I went into labor early and had my DS before I was able to even go to any of my classes lol I remember nursing my son at home when friends of ours (who were due at the same time) were going to all our classes we were supposed to attend together haha

Since my epidural(s) failed, I'd be interested in doing a childbirth class, specifically one that teaches breathing techniques etc in case the same thing happens to me again. Otherwise, I'm all set with the rest of it. Our hospital(s) were great as far as setting me up with a lactation consultant and the NICU taught us everything regarding newborn care. So at least we had that.. just.. 0 help with the no pain meds birth that I didn't want. bleh!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"