Parenting

Naptime Question--WWYD

My daughter for the most part--about 80% of the time is a wonderful napper. She takes one nap and usually it is anywhere from 2.5-3.5 hours--and it doesn't interfere with bedtime at all. Usually she sleeps from about 12ish to 3ish. She goes to sleep at 7.

However, on some days (like today) when she is with MIL who watches her while we are working, she doesn't nap. She still goes in but just fools around in there for about an hour and half. My MIL house is smaller, so she hears everything.

My MIL dropped her off today--at about 4:30. She JUST fell asleep for her nap in the car. I brought her in, put her in the crib for about 30 minutes and let her sleep. I woke her up around 5:15--and she was a bear. She cried and whined and just wanted to go back to sleep.

I eventually gave in and she went back in the crib at 6pm-and fell right back to sleep.  

Would you have just let her sleep straight through? Or woke her up for a little bit even though she was miserable? I have a feeling at about 4:45 she would have been down for the night between missing her nap and that leading into bed time. 

My daughter is my hero.

Re: Naptime Question--WWYD

• Tough call.  At that age, MIL couldn't rock her to get her to sleep?

I would probably wake my kids because I think they'd be up at 4 am or earlier.

• imageeddy321:

When DD falls asleep in the car too close to bed time, I just wake her up when we get home.  I don't transfer her to the crib at all.  She might be a boar for a while, but it's better than letting her sleep too late and having her all off schedule.

I tried that. She falls asleep on the floor of her room. LOL. Either way if I put her in the crib or she is on the floor/couch/table she will fall asleep with no nap.

My daughter hasn't been rocked to sleep since about 6 months--she HATES being rocked. She always likes to fall asleep by herself. This afternoon she figured out to take all of her clothes off, and was giving the lamb her paci for a bit. She did have an 1.5 hour of "rest" time in the crib, where she was quiet--just didn't fall asleep. 

My daughter is my hero.
  • Loading the player...
  • When DD misses her nap and falls aspleep early, I let her sleep. She sleeps until her regular wake up time. In the past I have woken her up to eat dinner but it never works so I don't bother!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS is 11. When he was younger and would miss naps, I would generally try to keep him up, but put him to bed ealier. I would definitely be walking on eggshells until bedtime!

Is there any way MIL could watch DD at your place?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"