Toddlers: 24 Months+

Pooh on the Toilet...Need Help

My son is 3 1/2 and completely pottied trained, no accidents, where's regular underwear (no pull ups) except he refuses to poop on the toilet.  He never has accidents, he simply says that he needs a diaper because he needs to poop.  He has always had constipation issues, so initially, I was just happy he wanted to poop, so I didn't argue.  But now, I can't get him to stop, nothing works.  I will bribe him with anything he asks for (that I would actually do for him)...He always wants new cars, last night I had him sit on the toilet, offered him a dollar, a new car, a chocolate candy, and something else.  He always just refuses, says he doesn't want any of that stuff.  If I don't give in, he will just hold it, which I don't want because of his constipation issues, so I eventually give him a diaper and he poops right away.

I have started a  countdown calendar, and told him that when the calendar gets to zero, that he either has to poop on the toilet, or in his underwear...

Any ideas to get this extremely stubborn kid to poop on the toilet????

Re: Pooh on the Toilet...Need Help

• I would personally not do the countdown calendar - if he didn't respond to bribes he won't respond to deadlines I would guess

what about just talking positively as much as possible - get a few books (like 'everybody poops' to read every night

talk about how you go #2 in the potty, that it's a good tihng

set up a special reward that's ONLY for that - like my dd gets a little chocolate santa

it took dd awhile to realise that it's ok to go #2 on the potty, I really do think the books & talking about it a lot helped

I wouldn't pressure him - he'll get there - just keep being SUPER positive about it and he'll get there!

• Thanks, I will try anything!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"