Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Solids Meal/Preparation/Storage Advice

My LO is 8 months and recently more into finger foods and feeding himself.  I need advice on how to plan ahead his meals. I have up until this point made all of his baby food and just take the ice cubes out of the freezer the day before.  He now would prefer to feed himself. My husband and I eat pretty rich meals (tacos, Indian, Stir Fry, etc) so don't want to feed him what we are eating nor do we want to switch our meals to have no flavor.

My questions are below.

1.  How do you prepare ahead a meal? I make chicken for him in a crockpot and he loves that. But he eats such a small amount and it only lasts a few days in the refridgerator that I end up throwing a lot away. If he eats veggies I just boil 5 beans at a time every day?

2.  Can I puree meats and fruits together and freeze the same way I freeze fruits/veggies? I was thinking I could do this and use a sauce for pasta or in a piece of bread as a meal.

I work full time so any advice on how to make meals ahead or meal ideas that don't take a long time or meals I can freeze, etc.  would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Solids Meal/Preparation/Storage Advice

• One thing that has been suggested to me is rinsing off the sauce from foods you're eating. So on stir fry nights, that might work. 

Also, I just feed LO whatever we're eating. He seems to prefer more flavorful food anyway. 

I steam a lot of LO's veggies. Just cut a few florets off broccoli or some slices of zucchini and put in the microwave or steamer until soft.  I also might roast some sweet potato ahead of time and re heat that for a few days.

• imagejennyelf:

One thing that has been suggested to me is rinsing off the sauce from foods you're eating. So on stir fry nights, that might work. 

Also, I just feed LO whatever we're eating. He seems to prefer more flavorful food anyway. 

I steam a lot of LO's veggies. Just cut a few florets off broccoli or some slices of zucchini and put in the microwave or steamer until soft.  I also might roast some sweet potato ahead of time and re heat that for a few days.

This is what we are slowly starting to do as well. Its nice to all share the same meal! I sometimes just make a portion of meat or veggies plain when I roast or bake them. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I prep food for both us and the baby on Sunday's...So I will bake a few sweet potatoes and roast vegatables, as well as, make a small batch of Quinoa and a large batch of Oatmeal since we all eat that during the week for breakfast. I usually also prep meat for the week and divide out into portions for each meal, so I will set some aside for DD.

It makes things super easy in the evening...eveything is all ready to go in containers in the fridge. I also don't feed a lot of pureed or jarred fruit except for organic applesauce. Most of the time fruit is just fresh fruit...bananas, bluberries, grapes, strawberries, pears etc. just cut into small enough pieces that she won't choke on them. So their isn't really much prep ahead of time for fruits.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"