May 2013 Moms
Options

Did your baby look like Skeletor in your ultrasound?

I had my 12 week ultrasound today, and it was amazing and heartwarming!  The baby is big and measured at 13 weeks.

BUT... the baby kept looking directly at the screen and majorly looked like Skeletor!  The ultrasound tech even commented on it.

I don't get why the baby looked quite this freaky in the face.  Is it the effect of the ultrasound machine, or just b/c the baby's face isn't very developed yet?

Of course, s/he was still adorable :)

Re: Did your baby look like Skeletor in your ultrasound?

• Options
    my LO looked like Skeletor a bit in the last u/s too. I think it's just he effect of the machine (or at least that's what I'm hoping!).   :)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, and Skeletor is exactly what i compared it to!
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagePetraStonegirl:
    Well, remember that unless you are looking at a 3D u/s image, you are actually just seeing a thick 'slice' of baby. And, it's not a true image as our brains tend to think of them either. You are seeing twoway return signal strength. A band of sound is sent out, harder parts return or 'bounce' a stronger return sound wave than softer parts, the software cooks the data so that the stronger signal is interpreted as a brighter pixel than a weaker signal is, and produces an image.nbsp;So, it's not surprising that you get some freaky images there, because you aren't looking at the surface of your child's face, but a cross section of it.

Damn, you just dropped some major knowledge on me here. Good to know, thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes! Just had mine today and totally saw that! The tech told me that they try to avoid that shot cuz it freaks people out. Haha. She called it the Halloween mask. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

The title made me giggle so I opened it to read, and I'm glad I did since I learned a lot! :)

All of our ultrasounds have been pretty grainy profiles, so I haven't had that experience yet.  

• Options
    Haha yes! This baby and my son both looked like Skeletor. Since we just got our NT scan on Mischief Night, we said it looked like LO was wearing a Mexican sugar skull costume for Halloween ;)

Click HERE for my story...

Me (29) and DH (31) together since 2001, married since 2006.

12/13/11 BFP after 7 cycles TTC first child. 06/29/12 delivered stillborn son at 33 weeks.

09/04/12 BFP after first cycle TTC. Please be our take-home baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I actually just Googled "baby looked like Skeletor in ultrasound!" We went to the OB today (11w5d) and after not being able to find the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler, we did an ultrasound...sure enough, heart was a-thumpin' and the baby even jumped around and then turned! Looked most definitely like Skeletor -- both my husband and our doctor commented on it.
  • Options

I was thinking more like The Silents from Doctor Who, but Skeletor works, too!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • Options
    Yes, that happened on my 20 weeks scan.  Tech said it was because the baby has no fat on it at this point.  I didn't have a 12 week scan so I don't know--wow 12 weeks seems like years ago...that was more than half of what I've done so far ago (since I'm at 24 w 5 d)
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"