Stay at Home Moms
Options

The dumbest food question to ever hit the bump

Ok, so since there seems to be some people knowledgable about reading labels (or a bunch of obese people who are faking it  Wink) I thought you might have some suggestions for me.

My DD's therapist suggested I try giving her some lemonade with lots of ice to help get her nervous system ramped up prior to her therapy session. From what I know (which is limited since I'm not a lemonade drinker) the only options are those lemonade mixes or making my own. I'm kind of reluctant to make homemade lemonade for two glasses a week, I don't want to do the sugar free kind with all the chemicals, and the others are loaded with sugar.

Is there something kind of healthy besides squeezing my own lemons for two glasses a week? Does trader joe's make their own or something that's (somewhat) low in sugar? Seriously I was kind of twitching when this woman suggested I give my barely two year old kid something with loads of added sugar. LOL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The dumbest food question to ever hit the bump

• Options
    I'm not positive but I'm sure there is a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's "healthy" version that at least uses Agave nectar or natural sweeteners instead of tons of sugar.  But if the therapist recommended it I would just go ahead and get it.  I'm sure it will be worked off during the session!!!  Maybe only give it there at the office so it's not requested/demanded at home!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Seriously, your daughter's therapist recommended this and you're having a problem with it? She's not suggesting you give her cocaine. You are going to give your kids such hang ups about food.
    Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What about just buying some lemon juice and making your own that way? 

We purchase the "Simply Lemonade" brand out of the fridge case at the local grocery store then water it down a bit, they also sell a lower sugar option of the Simply Lemonade that my bodybuilding friends get... 

• Options
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageKateB1984:

Lemonade, by definition, has a lot of sugar. It's the only way to turn a sour sour fruit into a sweet drink. As far as lemonade goes, I like Santa Cruz. It definitely has sugar, but it's cane sugar vs HFCS and the ingredients are natural.

https://www.santacruzorganic.com/products/lemonades

This. We buy this at WF in the summer when it's on sale. I'd also be okay w/ buying the "Real Simple Lemonade" or whatever it's called - I've seen that everywhere including Target. You can buy a small bottle of it, too. It's in the refrigerated section.

Making your own is not a big deal, though. I'd buy 100% lemon juice to keep on hand, add water & sugar and your done. I wouldn't get the powdered mix for kids or any w/ HFCS. 

All great ideas--I will check out the sante cruz/real simple lemonade brand or just make my own with lemon juice (how did I forget they made this though LOL). Thank you!

• Options

imageI Heart The 80s:
    Is this post going to become a debate about juice? Or sugar? Or juice in a pouch? I must be a horrible mother, because I'd probably buy some lemonade, pour it in a glass with water, and be done

I was just thinking the same thing.  I guess I also missed the part of why it had to be lemonade.  Especially because it does, by default, have a lot of sugar in it.

O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options

imageMrs JillB:
    Seriously, your daughter's therapist recommended this and you're having a problem with it? She's not suggesting you give her cocaine. You are going to give your kids such hang ups about food.

because I'm searching out the healthiest way to give something that she'll be having multiple times a week she's going to have food issues?

My parents limited processed/added sugar in my diet and I can tell you I have no hang ups about food and think it was a great gift they gave me. Many of my friends constantly struggle/are unhappy with their weight since they struggle to eat healthy since they grew up on juice and soda and sugary snacks. I've never had to worry (minus the teen years when most are overly critical of their apperance).

• Options
    imageCourt0026:

imageI Heart The 80s:
    Is this post going to become a debate about juice? Or sugar? Or juice in a pouch? I must be a horrible mother, because I'd probably buy some lemonade, pour it in a glass with water, and be done

I was just thinking the same thing.  I guess I also missed the part of why it had to be lemonade.  Especially because it does, by default, have a lot of sugar in it.

The point is to give her a drink that's tart in the hopes of revving up her nervous system. Hence lemonade since most 2 year olds would tolerate it.

• Options
    When we host DH's family reunion, we make our own with bottled lemon juice, water, and sugar. Everyone always says it's really good.

That's what I would do. Especially because you could add sugar slowly, which is what I do. I actually like it less sweet. Which is especially good, because I love a glass of cold lemonade in the summer. I have a feeling J. and A. will get that love from me!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMesmrEwe:

What about just buying some lemon juice and making your own that way? 

We purchase the "Simply Lemonade" brand out of the fridge case at the local grocery store then water it down a bit, they also sell a lower sugar option of the Simply Lemonade that my bodybuilding friends get... 

You only need like 1/8th of a cup of lemonade to water ratio with that!  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Options
    I don't know, but you over thinking the whole thing makes me think you need some prune juice. Can anybody really get this worked up over something so simple? 
  • Options

imageKateMW:
    I don't know, but you over thinking the whole thing makes me think you need some prune juice. Can anybody really get this worked up over something so simple? 

I don't know how asking about healthier alternatives is getting "worked up" over something...

Sorry I give a sh!t about my kids health and don't load her up with the first sugar packed thing on the shelf. Scary that people think that's so bizarre and unusual.

• Options
    imageKC_13:

imageKateMW:

I don't know how asking about healthier alternatives is getting "worked up" over something...

She said give your child lemonade. If you aren't going to follow her instructions, why work with a therapist? 

• Options
    imageKateMW:
    imageKC_13:

imageKateMW:

She said give your child lemonade. If you aren't going to follow her instructions, why work with a therapist? 

Uh... if I was planning on ignoring her instructions, I wouldn't be asking for the healthiest option, no?

• Options
    imageKC_13:

imageKateMW:

Sorry I give a sh!t about my kids health and don't load her up with the first sugar packed thing on the shelf. Scary that people think that's so bizarre and unusual.

I don't think wanting your kids to be healthy is bizarre and unusual...now you on the other hand... 

• Options
    imageKateMW:
    imageKC_13:

imageKateMW:

My point exactly. 

Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did get a delicious low sugar lemonade at Trader Joes.  And I think the Simply Lemon one someone mentioned is delicious too!
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Trader Joes sells lemondade in juice boxes. 
  • Options
    imagecjcouple:

imageI Heart The 80s:
    I obviously don't care about my kids health. Tonight I made them tuna noodle casserole. Probably the not the healthiest, but it's cold out. We've all had a long day. They are getting over being sick, and will enjoy the comfort food. Bring on the cheese and gooey delight!

mmmmmm

But the obesity, the ooobbbbesssssity! 

• Options
    imageI Heart The 80s:
    imageMrs JillB:
    imagecjcouple:

imageI Heart The 80s:
    I obviously don't care about my kids health. Tonight I made them tuna noodle casserole. Probably the not the healthiest, but it's cold out. We've all had a long day. They are getting over being sick, and will enjoy the comfort food. Bring on the cheese and gooey delight!

mmmmmm

But the obesity, the ooobbbbesssssity! 

Oh, don't worry. I'll just load them up with Diet Coke and such. 

Perfect! Plus, then they might have some extra energy and you can put them to work around the house. Bonus! 

• Options
    imageI Heart The 80s:

imageDiapers&Wipes:
    I'm heading to the grocery store tonight. I will buy the following things: Pouches Cream of something Sugar filled apple sauce Sugar filled lemonade Cheerios Am I missing anything?

I'm laughing, because I'm pretty sure we have all of those things in the pantry. And cream of something is in the casserole tonight. LOL.

Oh, don't forget CHEDDAR BUNNIES. 

ftfy 

• Options
    imageDiapers&Wipes:
    imageMrs JillB:
    imageI Heart The 80s:

imageDiapers&Wipes:
    I'm heading to the grocery store tonight. I will buy the following things: Pouches Cream of something Sugar filled apple sauce Sugar filled lemonade Cheerios Am I missing anything?

I'm laughing, because I'm pretty sure we have all of those things in the pantry. And cream of something is in the casserole tonight. LOL.

ftfy 

Cheddar bunnies are too healthy. I'm going w cheez its. Those are filled w salt, right.

lol 

• Options

I may or may not have been drinking all day so you can take this or leave this. KC you have lost you freaking mind! You need your kid to eat to survive. You are a therapist worst nightmare. Give the freaking kid lemonade. Any kind! Filled with sugar, who freaking cares, right now it is the least of your worries. Buy some *** minute maid and call it done. With a diagnosis of AU on the table I know you feel the need to control what you can, but let it go. Two sugar filled drinks are the least of your worries on the long journey you are starting. 

• Options
    imageDiapers&Wipes:
    imageMrs JillB:
    imageI Heart The 80s:

imageDiapers&Wipes:

ftfy 

Cheddar bunnies are too healthy. I'm going w cheez its. Those are filled w salt, right.

Go all out ladies, my kids are currently loving Angry Birds cheese nips- Sodium, preservatives AND marketing!!!

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Options

I don't understand why the therapist is stipulating lemonade frankly.  But if it must be lemonade, I'd buy a bottle of Snapple and be done with it.

But why it can't be orange juice, for instance, is beyond me.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    imageMrs JillB:
    Here's what I've learned. The point of this post has nothing to do with healthy lemonade. The point is, now you know that KC has a kid with special needs that even require a therapist and she still works tirelessly to survey the bump to find the most healthy option because she cares that much. The rest of us with normal kids who eat crap are bad moms. You have to read between the lines next time. FWIW KC, you wouldn't get such a hard time if you weren't so condescending and holier than thou about it.
    Gabriel 11/04/09 Vincent 9/17/11 Grace 8/02/13
  • Options

imageDiapers&Wipes:

Yes. You are missing the fact that the Cheerios have to be from Aldi. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The hardcore judging of someone who you consider judgmental is almost 'wet your pants' funny. 
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

This and the pouch post are the same to me.

The answer is glaringly obvious to both "questions." Pouches are popular because kids like them, and they are easy and healthy. The healthiest lemonade option is either make your own or find the one with all natural ingredients. What is there to not get?

Neither poster strikes me as unintelligent, so I can only guess the motive as being argumentativeness or superiority...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I've just begun my lurking around these parts, and I am thoroughly impressed with the entertainment value thus far. 

To answer your questions, KC, lemonade is super, ridiculously easy to make on your own.  The simple syrup is just about 4 lemons juiced (you don't even have to buy a fancy thing. They sell them for around $5 at any grocery store), zest one of the lemons, 2 C of Sugar to 2 C of water with the zest brought heated on stove until incorporated.  Once it cools, add the lemon juice.  You have simple syrup.  It's about 1/4 syrup to water ratio when you make per glass. 

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Options
    Now I'm craving lemonade. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I like lemon juice, water, agave nectar! Mix to the right balance for yourself. I've always winged it with amounts. I don't think you are crazy for asking what the best option is. I certainly would rather ask what everyone uses versus look at the ingredients in a bunch of lemonades. Buy a few lemons a week and a bottle of agave nectar. Plus you can use the spent rinds to grind in your garbage disposal to make your sink smell lemony fresh. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If the point of it is to be tart, you should make your own, honestly. None of the store bought ones will be any more tart than OJ. Making it isn't too hard and you can squeeze a bunch of juice one day and freeze it in portions.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think lemonade twice a week is often. People seem really crazy weird about sugar here. I really don't get it. My kids get juice every day! Gasp... Usually OJ in morning not watered down and fruit and veggie juice watered down at lunch and dinner we all have minor milk allergies so not much milk. Between meals usually we stick to water. I drink a large coca cola daily. None of my family is over weight. My kids are quite thin. We don't buy Stuff usually with added sugar but if I do occasionally not a big deal! Life is short:

I also don't think she means you have to give her just lenonade. You could give her anything with a little pick me up to wake her up a bit. I would do some watered down apple juice no sugar added or needed its naturally sweet.
  • Options
    imageAndrewsgal:

I may or may not have been drinking all day so you can take this or leave this. KC you have lost you freaking mind! You need your kid to eat to survive. You are a therapist worst nightmare. Give the freaking kid lemonade. Any kind! Filled with sugar, who freaking cares, right now it is the least of your worries. Buy some *** minute maid and call it done. With a diagnosis of AU on the table I know you feel the need to control what you can, but let it go. Two sugar filled drinks are the least of your worries on the long journey you are starting. 

The alcohol may be making you lose your mind. LOL. My kid eats plenty! She's surviving and thriving just fine. I'm not sure what AU is--but no diagnosis is on the table for her.

Her OT who is trying to give me ideas on how to get her nervous system ramped up prior to her group therapy since she's fairly underresponsive the first half of class. It's not something that she said I needed to do for her health for her to grow--of course I'd give her the most sugary thing I seen if that were the case. She was just tossing out ideas. I want to see if it helps so I just wanted to find the lesser of the evils.

• Options

imageDochas:
    The hardcore judging of someone who you consider judgmental is almost 'wet your pants' funny. 

LOL seriously. I left this thread long before it got funny and ironic. Thanks for the morning chuckle though guys! Smile

(and seriously, thanks for all the recipes/product suggestions)

• Options

imageLulobug22:
    I don't think lemonade twice a week is often. People seem really crazy weird about sugar here. I really don't get it. My kids get juice every day! Gasp... Usually OJ in morning not watered down and fruit and veggie juice watered down at lunch and dinner we all have minor milk allergies so not much milk. Between meals usually we stick to water. I drink a large coca cola daily. None of my family is over weight. My kids are quite thin. We don't buy Stuff usually with added sugar but if I do occasionally not a big deal! Life is short: I also don't think she means you have to give her just lenonade. You could give her anything with a little pick me up to wake her up a bit. I would do some watered down apple juice no sugar added or needed its naturally sweet.

No, she specifically meant something tart. Not just sugary. It doesn't have the same effect on the nervous system.

It's great you can do all this juice and coke and stay thin. My FIL was also fooled into believing since he was thin he was healthy, and then had a heart attack at 47...

I would really read into the effects of sugar in your day to day diet. It causes a lot more health issues than just obesity.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"