Stay at Home Moms

Families and 529s

Would you be comfortable with a family member making regular contributions to your child's 529 plan.

My sister and bil asked for my son's info.  Honestly - they are the ones who encouraged us to open one.  I hadn't planned on it because I know that we can't/won't make large, regular contributions.  But I decided that every little bit will help when the time comes so I opened one.  I thought they would make an occasional, small deposit.  But my BIL set up a monthly contribution of $50.  May not seem like a lot, but makes me a little uncomfortable, but since I am uncomfortable with taking anything from anyone I know I am overreacting.  Facts - yes they can well afford it.  And in their position I would do the same thing.   Wondering how other would feel.  Thanks!

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Families and 529s

• Well, obviously, it's very generous of them. What's your relationship with them like? Is this truly a "no-strings-attatched" thing or is it liable to come back and bite you in the butt later?
  • I guess I would be fine with it. The only thing I wouldn't want is for them to feel like they have some sort of control or say in what happens. If it is truly a gift, with no strings attached, then I would accept it for my child.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Completely no strings attached.  My sister is his godmother and they absolutely adore him.  One of their children is in college, the other a junior in HS.  He is my sister's practice grandchild!  I have also always gotten along really well with my BIL.  He had a rocky start in the family but for some reason we've always been close.  We have them all to our place skiing.  And for the last 2 years they've included us on their beach vacation. 
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageletranger:
    yes? it is also tax deductible so they may want the deduction. 

BIL specifically asked me to open it because he would not qualify for a tax deduction.  He thought if we opened it we would qualify for our contributions.  It's NJ though so no deduction for anyone at this time.  I would have been fine with them opening it and would give them access to see the account but they have no interest so really no strings, they don't want any control.  And they know I would NEVER touch his money under any circumstances anyway.

• imageLalaMama81:

In fact, DH is suggesting to his family that we start making 529 or other savings contributions for birthday gifts for all the cousins, instead of traditional gifts.  

It really is a good idea.  It wouldn't have worked in our family for many reasons. :)

• imageLalaMama81:

Well, the cousins are all similar ages - DD1 is the oldest at barely 4.5, so if everyone is on board it would work out well. Plus I think it is better than just saying "no gifts" at all for all birthdays because some would follow that and some wouldn't. I am interested to see how the conversation goes, I might suggest it on my side as well. There are 5 kids on DH's and 4 on mine and both will increase by at least a few, but probably more.  

One brother is vocal and adamant about not paying for college.  We likely aren't either but he wears it like a badge of honor.  Another brother has a spending problem and when my mother would give checks for birthdays it would come back stamped from their mortgage carrier.  I would never have given them money -when we gave bonds it was in sole ownership of child's name (SILs mother even complained about that once because she couldn't cash it!) One sister is crazy rich.  The other 2 sisters would have gone for it though! 

• imageletranger:

i think they are being sweet. honestly and i wouldn't worry. we put a couple dollars aside for our nephew and nieces too everymonth. 

Thank you!  And great to hear it isn't uncommon!

• Sure! LOL If they offer, why not?

• I was expecting to hear at least a few opinions like "get a job" or "I would NEVER take money from family". LOL.  I'm starting to feel better about it. :)
  • imageDochas:

Would you be comfortable with a family member making regular contributions to your child's 529 plan.

My sister and bil asked for my son's info.  Honestly - they are the ones who encouraged us to open one.  I hadn't planned on it because I know that we can't/won't make large, regular contributions.  But I decided that every little bit will help when the time comes so I opened one.  I thought they would make an occasional, small deposit.  But my BIL set up a monthly contribution of $50.  May not seem like a lot, but makes me a little uncomfortable, but since I am uncomfortable with taking anything from anyone I know I am overreacting.  Facts - yes they can well afford it.  And in their position I would do the same thing.   Wondering how other would feel.  Thanks!

Thats really great.  You are really lucky to have a family member care that much about your childs future.  I would accept it graciously and thank your lucky stars :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageDochas:
    Completely no strings attached.  My sister is his godmother and they absolutely adore him.  One of their children is in college, the other a junior in HS.  He is my sister's practice grandchild!  I have also always gotten along really well with my BIL.  He had a rocky start in the family but for some reason we've always been close.  We have them all to our place skiing.  And for the last 2 years they've included us on their beach vacation. 

It seems like you have an awesome relationship here and I really don't see an issue with it. I don't like taking money from people either BUT if someone wants to bless you I think it's flat out rude to refuse. As long as it's a no strings attached thing it really sounds like a great thing. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you everyone!  There are no grandparents in our son's life unfortunately.  Two of my sisters really go out of there way to spend time with him and it really feels fantastic to SEE him be loved.  It's just so generous of them and I am really, really grateful.  I wouldn't accept anything for me but it's so different when it's for him.  I would never have known that before having him. :)
  • imageDochas:
    I was expecting to hear at least a few opinions like "get a job" or "I would NEVER take money from family". LOL.  I'm starting to feel better about it. :)

What!?! I think it's awesome! If my in-laws did that for either of my kids, I would be thrilled.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It depends on who it is. My parents are very well off and very generous and it's always no-strings attached. So if they wanted to contribute annually, I would have no problem with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Absolutely, my FIL starts 529s for each grandchild and we are so grateful for it. It's part of our kids' college savings. He's never tried to dictate what we will use it for, it's more of an unspoken understanding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• This is such a wonderful gift ... we've been trying to encourage our extended family to set up 529s for DS (he is the only grandchild on both sides). Especially since we now live abroad and the postage to ship material gifts is ridiculous.

Just think about how expensive college is going to be for this generation of babies ... it will be such a relief for your son to have this money. It could make the difference in what school he chooses to attend, or whether or not he has debt when he graduates. And if he doesn't use it, then the account that your sister and BIL set up still belongs to them, if I understand correctly they could use it for their own continuing ed down the road if the primary beneficiary doesn't use it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"