Stay at Home Moms
Options

Divorce or counseling?

In a nutshell my dh is an a. We've been married for 7 years. We have a 2 year old with Special needs and a 4 year old. Lately he's been calling me names bc I haven't lost my baby weight. I'm a size 16 now He calls me a fat ***, lazy a, cow, etc. He is a decent dad but he's a yeller. Tonight we got into an argument bc he was screaming at our 4 year old. I told him we need to pick our battles and a type of pajamas shouldn't be a fight. That's when he hit me. I don't want to be the wife that puts up with that. BUT I'm a stay at home mom and can't work because of our daughters health issues. So would be a problem. I had to resign from teaching. Should we get counseling? Or is that kind of abuse unforgivable?

Re: Divorce or counseling?

• Options
    wow, im so sorry you are going through this. Sounds like he has MAJOR anger issues and you need to get away from him. He obviously needs counseling for these issues, and i think its something that he needs to do on his own. Can you go stay with friends or family for a while? I dont think you should stay with him just because you cant work right now. Until he shows a willingness to address his issues and actually takes steps to address them, i wouldnt even begin to think about reconciling with him....he is a danger to you and sadly to your kids too. I'm sure there are some resources in your area to help you figure out what to do. Good luck, thoughts and prayers to you
  • Options
    Divorce. A man hits you and it's past hope. Leave TONIGHT.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Get out now. Stay with family or friends or go on public assistance if you need. He has major anger issues and it won't get better. You used the term abuse to describe his behavior, I think you know the answer. Do whatever it takes to not subject yourself and your kids to an abuser. (((hugs)))). We're all here for you!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLalaMama81:

imagepenguingrrl:
    Get out now. Stay with family or friends or go on public assistance if you need. He has major anger issues and it won't get better. You used the term abuse to describe his behavior, I think you know the answer. Do whatever it takes to not subject yourself and your kids to an abuser. (((hugs)))). We're all here for you!

Yes, this. Please leave. Call a trusted friend or family member. 

All of this.  Who knows how quickly it can escalate from here.  You need to keep yourself and your children safe before he lashes out at them next.  Do you have a friend or family in the area?  Or look for a women's shelter.  Just because you are a SAHM doesn't mean you need to take abuse.  Keep your family safe.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

It is possible for someone to change, but he has to be willing to do so and it's a lot of work.

Like PPs have said, the first thing you need to do is get yourself and your kids out and someplace safe. His behavior is escalating. Once you're safe, then contact him and talk to him--but do so in a safe place with soneone to support you.

If he does agree to counseling, do not move back in with him until a counselor says it's safe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageLalaMama81:

imagepenguingrrl:

Yes, this. Please leave. Call a trusted friend or family member. 

All of this. Additionally I would contact a lawyer asap and explain that your husband struck you. Your lawyer can file all of the appropriate documents and motions to protect you and your children. If you can't afford a lawyer contact your local women's shelters, many of them offer legal help.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    Please leave now.  You must protect those kids and yourself.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Options
    This isn't hard to answer at all. Get the f*ck out.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    As everyone has said, get out now.  There are plenty of resources available to help you.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    imageKatFCo:

It is possible for someone to change, but he has to be willing to do so and it's a lot of work.

Like PPs have said, the first thing you need to do is get yourself and your kids out and someplace safe. His behavior is escalating. Once you're safe, then contact him and talk to him--but do so in a safe place with soneone to support you.

If he does agree to counseling, do not move back in with him until a counselor says it's safe.

This is great advice! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this... 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    leave with you kids now
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've read through some of your posts.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why you stay with this man.

Be calm.  Get a lawyer.  Start living the life you were meant to live.

Good luck.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    Divorce! I wouldn't put up with a man who called me names and especially not a man who hit me! Sorry your H is mean: that's a hard situation
  • Options
    imageKatFCo:

This is what I would recommend.  I am pretty against divorce but in this case seperation needs to happen ASAP.  Leave and get help for yourself and then, with support from those who are qualified, get help with and for your husband if he is willing.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options
    Take his ass to the cleaners. Get a safe place to stay. It will be hard but you can do it. Think what type of example it will be to your LO's if you stay.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I read the post about your H not leaving a golf tournament to be there for your baby going in for emergency surgery. How can you call this @sshole a decent dad?  If you don't leave for yourself, do it for your children.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

You need to go to safe place as soon as possible and file an emergency protective order, which will also give you emergency custody of your children.

I work with a Domestic Violence Program.  You can get emergency shelter if you need it from your local shelter.  Please take advantage of free counseling for yourself, legal, financial, and job placement help that they offer.

You can visit www.laurel-house.org in order to learn more about Domestic Violence.

This will be the hardest thing you will ever do, but you can and must do it.  Things will only get worse from here, there are NO exceptions!! 

Please PM me with any questions!! 

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Would you let a friend call you names and hit you? No. I would say not.

Get out before he hurts you again or your kids!!!!!!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKatFCo:

I'm sorry but this is horrible advice.  Once physical abuse starts you can't go back, the relationship is destroyed. I'm sorry but it is the truth.  Women either leave, get murdered, or live out the rest of their lives abused and broken. 

Guys who abuse have deep seeded control or sociopathic disorders.  Domestic Violence Programs do not offer couples counseling because it is not a relationship issue.  Something is wrong with them that their victim cannot fix but only makes worse.  They are very cookie cutter in their behaviors. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)

CHECKLIST FOR ITEMS YOU   NEED WHEN YOU LEAVE

__Identification/Driver?s License

__Car & house keys

__Money, food stamps

__Checkbook, pay stubs

__Birth Certificates

__Social Security card

__Green card/Work Permit

__Medications/prescription

__Court papers/orders

__Address book

__Lease, deed, rental papers

__Medical/School records?

DO NOT RISK your safety to gather these items ? we recommend that you gather these items in advance and leave them in a safe place or with a trusted individual. But if you need to ? LEAVE WITHOUT THEM.

• Options

REMEMBER:

No one deserves

To be Abused!

Planning for Safety during a violent incident

Text Box: Planning for Safety during a violent incident
    • If an argument seems unavoidable, try to have it in a room that has access to an exit.

• Carry your cell phone in your pocket or on you at all times.

• Have a code word to use with your children, family, friends and neighbors when you need the police.

• Avoid a room with weapons or things that could be used as weapons, such as garage, kitchen, and basement.

• Practice how to get out of your house quickly.

REMEMBER:

Whether you leave or stay, you?ll be safer if you have a

safety plan.

Safety when preparing to leave an abusive relationship

• If you are preparing to leave, determine the safest time to do so.

• Try to keep some money tucked away or, if you can, open your own bank account.

• Rehearse an escape plan until you know it by heart.

• Keep change for pay phones on you at all times or memorize a hotline phone number.

• Prepare an emergency kit that you can get to quickly, or that you keep at a trusted friend/neighbors house.

REMEMBER:

Abusers try to control their victims? lives. When abusers feel a loss of control (like when victims try to leave) the abuse gets worse. Take special care when you leave.

Safety planning after

Leaving an abusive relationship

Text Box: Safety planning after  Leaving an abusive relationship

?         Change locks on doors and windows.

?         Keep a cell phone with you at all times.  Have it preprogrammed to dial the police.

?         Install a motion-sensitive lighting system outside.

?         If you have a PFA (Protection From Abuse Order) , keep a copy with you at all times. Give a copy to the police, to the people who take care of your children, to your children?s school and to your employer.

?         Notify all childcare providers about who has permission to pick your children up.

?         Inform neighbors, landlord and others that your partner no longer lives with you and that they should call the police if they see him/her near your home.

• Options
    All abuse is unforgiveable. Leave, tonight.

Please stay safe.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

didn't read everyone's response but you should divorce him.  guys like him are all the same.  I was married to a verbal/mental abusing man. Don't put up with that crap and don't stay with him because you can't get a job.  I would move back with my parents again so fast just to get away from that. 

You should also check into counseling. They have affordable city paid for counseling services in my area, so I'm sure they are in yours as well. I saw a counselor for 2 years to get thru all of my issues.  You are part of this too, don't be caught in the cycle of abuse and don't make excuses for him either.  I did the same thing.  After the fight was over, I would forgive him and then we would be in the honeymoon period again until the next blow up.  You could never predict when it would be. You will know when enough is enough.  I did.  It was the day My H exploded at me after giving me the silent treatment for 13 days. He came after me with one of those vacuum wine openers in a rage.  I was on the bed and could only back up so far.  When he left the room I locked the door and called my parents to get me and they called the cops.  He never did hit me because I never stayed long enough for that to happen.  He also promised counseling and I didn't move back in with him.  the day I knew I was going to divorce him was when he never did our counseling homework and continued to party it up instead of working on himself.  I was tired of being the only one working on the marriage. It was sad, I was heart broken, I grieved everything that could have been. I did heal and I'm not that person anymore. My DH I have now is the best thing that ever happened to me,  all those dreams that I grieved DID come true with him BUT after I spent a LOT of time by myself being single and reading self help books:)  Especially since you have a kid, don't let your kid grow up with this crap and say its ok to treat women like this. luckily I didn't have kids with my first H.  we were only married 10 months before I left. 

• Options
    As the PP's have said. Leave. Get out. If he hit you once, he will hit you again. Abuse, of any kind, is an unforgivable thing in my book, no matter the circumstances. Your H clearly has an anger problem. You need to get yourself and your children out of there and into a safe environment. There are plenty of agencies and services that can and will help you out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • Options
    this has me all sorts of fired up because I read some of your past posts. He reminds me a little of my first H. I don't think your husband respects women at all, especially the ones that stay at home. My first H was the same way.  He thought SAHMs were lazy and fat.  It would make me so mad when he would let those comments fly.  we would be out at a grocery store and a mom would have 4 kids in or around her cart and he would be making sarcastic comments about her being fat because she was a lazy SAHM. His mom worked as well and he never respected non working women. Please know he will never change and that you need to get more respect for yourself for even staying this long with him. you only live once and don't live this life that your currently living.
  • Options
     Not only would I have left immediately.  I would have called the police and had him arrested.  And then I would get a lawyer and get every cent I could from him in child support. 
  • Options
    imagejinnymb:
    imageKatFCo:

I'm sorry but this is horrible advice.  Once physical abuse starts you can't go back, the relationship is destroyed. I'm sorry but it is the truth.  Women either leave, get murdered, or live out the rest of their lives abused and broken. 

Guys who abuse have deep seeded control or sociopathic disorders.  Domestic Violence Programs do not offer couples counseling because it is not a relationship issue.  Something is wrong with them that their victim cannot fix but only makes worse.  They are very cookie cutter in their behaviors. 

I wasn't trying to suggest relationship counseling, but that he get counseling. If this is new behavior, then there's something going on he needs help with. It is possible for someone to change, although you and PPs are right, it's very uncommon.

If this isn't new behavior and his previous verbal and mental abuse is escalating, then yeah, she needs to get out and say out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKatFCo:
    imagejinnymb:
    imageKatFCo:

I wasn't trying to suggest relationship counseling, but that he get counseling. If this is new behavior, then there's something going on he needs help with. It is possible for someone to change, although you and PPs are right, it's very uncommon.

If this isn't new behavior and his previous verbal and mental abuse is escalating, then yeah, she needs to get out and say out.

Yeah I understand what you are saying, sorry to get so fired up. This is a passionate subject to me.  I totally understand what you are saying I just hate when people imply that the relationship can be salvaged and that it is in some way her responsibility to fix him.  Usually a man doesn't go right to hitting.  I apologize for  jumping on you!

• Options
    Its like a chain that starts, first its the degrading of appearance, then the uncontrollable yelling, then the hitting, then the apologies, and kindness to suck you back in then the yelling starts again then he hits again... only you can cut this cycle. If you stay your are teaching your kids its ok to take it too and then they could be apart of that cycle when they are older. As hard as it is. You need to muster up the courage and leave him. I am so sorry you are going through this, but I would be filing for divorce today.
    Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • Options

imagejinnymb:

Yeah I understand what you are saying, sorry to get so fired up. This is a passionate subject to me.  I totally understand what you are saying I just hate when people imply that the relationship can be salvaged and that it is in some way her responsibility to fix him.  Usually a man doesn't go right to hitting.  I apologize for  jumping on you!

I didn't take it as you jumping on me and I wasn't trying to suggest it's her responsibility. I understand it's a very passionate subject. I have seen a relationship salvaged because the wife got out immediately and the man got help. It was a long, hard road for them but it did happen and it was because the man recognized he had a problem and needed outside help with it.

You're right, though, that usually isn't the case. I was just trying to give an alternate perspective because I don't know all the details of her situation.

• Options
    *I've not read most of the replies...I'm all for counseling, I think divorce should be if all else fails.  With any physical or sexual abuse though, all bets are off.  I personally wouldn't put up with it, but even if I did, how long would it be until he started abusing the kids?  DH knows that if I ever felt that our kids were in any type of danger from him, we'd be gone faster than he could blink (he's not a dangerous man in any way so it really doesn't matter).  IMO, kids don't choose what family they're born into, so it's my job to make sure that they stay as safe and healthy as I can keep them.  Again, I wouldn't put up with being hit even if we didn't have kids (my father was very abusive to my mother when I was too young to remember except for 2 instances), but you throw kids in the mix and it's a completely different ball game.  Get out, get out NOW, before he even gets home from work.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Hitting constitutes divorcing in my book. I would imagine if he's okay hitting his adult wife, what is stopping him from smacking around your children?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageNwlywed07:
    Hitting constitutes divorcing in my book. I would imagine if he's okay hitting his adult wife, what is stopping him from smacking around your children?

And since he 'only' hit her one time, he's going to be able to get at least some custody of these children.  If she's not around to keep them safe, who's going to? I don't know any backstory and I'm not saying just act like it never happened and continue with life but taking your kids and getting out isn't going to change enough. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
  • Options
    Has she been back to post what she did?
  • Options
    imagela79al:

imageNwlywed07:

And since he 'only' hit her one time, he's going to be able to get at least some custody of these children.  If she's not around to keep them safe, who's going to? I don't know any backstory and I'm not saying just act like it never happened and continue with life but taking your kids and getting out isn't going to change enough. 

DH has a cousin that has been married to a guy like this for so many years now. she always talks about leaving him but never does.  I'm sure her parents are tired of telling her to leave him.  Before she met him she was pursuing a career in cosmetology and looked good and healthy.  Now she looks way to skinny and run down.  she has 2 kids with him too.  I always feel bad for the kids.  But some women will play the victim roll and none of us will never understand why. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"