April 2013 Moms
Options

Mixed Feelings

The last few weeks have not been good for my grandmother. She had a bad fall out of bed, had to go to the hospital and they found out she had a blood clot on her lung. They seemed to have gotten that all under control, kept her in the hospital to monitor her progress and then she had internal bleeding. They got that taken care of and she was going to head to a nursing home for some physical therapy and recovery. She also needs to lose some weight, she is morbidly obese which is why she having all of these health problems. I was going to visit her in the nursing home today for a bit but just found out from one of my family members that she is back in the hospital. 

My entire family told me I should not go visit her in the hospital while pregnant. Especially since there have been a lot of people hospitalized in our area with the flu. I understand I don't need to catch the flu or any other kind of bug floating around the hospital but I do feel like I should go and visit my grandmother. I'm not sure why she is back in the hospital today. But god forbid something happens to her and she passes away, I would never forgive myself for not visiting her. 

What would ya'll do? 

Re: Mixed Feelings

• Options

Personally, I would go. Have you gotten your flu shot? If you are worried, I'd recommend talking to your OBGYN first. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would go see her. I work as a RN in a hospital, as a habit I do not touch door handles or elevator buttons (use a coat sleeve or an elbow). Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer and you should be fine. Hope she feels better soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think I would play this one by ear based on how well or not well she is doing.  Last time I was pregnant, a friend was on her way to come visit me and she got in a horrible accident.  I went to the ER to be with her and ended up in the hospital two days later with a violent stomach flu, which I would assume I caught in that ER.

If you do go, I would agree with others that you should sanitize your hands often and try not to touch surfaces.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagepavlovcat:
    You can always wear a mask and wash/sanitize your hands during and after the visit. 

I agree with this and I would go. Just don't touch door handles (its winter, wear gloves) and be careful to minimize general exposure. I would want to see her and would just take precautions so I could. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My MIL, who is a chronic alcoholic, was hospitalized for a nosebleed that had lasted two days before she sought medical attention. My DH tends to get stressed out in these situations, and so I braved the ER (packed completely full of what I assumed were flu patients) to sit with them. Smart choice? Probably not, but it made him feel better and that was all that mattered to me.
    My suggestion is to take the proper precautions and visit your grandmother, if only for a short time.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your input. Just got off of the phone with my Dad not too long ago and found out that she is dying. So I gave my OB's office a call and they said to wear a mask and just not get too close to her. So I'll be going to visit her with my Mom this afternoon. 
  • Options
    I would go.  The flu is temporary.  Her passing away isn't.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I would go, wear a mask and gloves and wash your hands immediately. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I was in the same boat when my grandma was hospitalized last week...I made the call to just drive the 2.5hours and spend the day at the hospital. I'm flu -free (and didn't get a shot). I did wash my hands and use sanitizer like a lunatic. 
    I'm sorry you and your family are going through this, I know how stressful it can be. Take care
  • Options

imageAllyP10:
    Thanks for all of your input. Just got off of the phone with my Dad not too long ago and found out that she is dying. So I gave my OB's office a call and they said to wear a mask and just not get too close to her. So I'll be going to visit her with my Mom this afternoon. 

omg I'm so sorry to hear this! It's good that your going to go see her tomorrow. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I would go...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"