Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Nursing to sleep issue

My DD is 11 weeks old and it appears we have a problem...she does not nap or sleep well at all; home or daycare, doesn't matter. She will usually only take 1 longish nap every day and a few shorter ones, but that's all. Maybe 4 to 5 hrs total on a good day, but usually more like 3 to 4 hours. At night her longest stretch is 3 hours.

Here is the issue, I think she is used to being nursed to sleep because she always has been, but it was never a problem until she started daycare. She has been super fussy and not sleeping well at all at daycare, and I think she is being overfed because they are confusing tired cues with hungry cues. (Her cue is crying for both...) This also affects her night sleeping because she will nurse to sleep but 10-15 minutes after I put her down in her crib she is awake and screaming again.

So...any advice for trying to break her of this habit? Is she old enough to even have a "habit"? Will it ever get better? Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nursing to sleep issue

• I hope there are some good answers to this one.  This is exactly what I am afraid of.   I go back to work in 2 weeks, DS will be 12 weeks, and he will be going to daycare for 8 hours per day.  I have not been away from him for more than an hour since he's been born.  I always nurse him to sleep, for naps and night time, it's really the only way he'll fall asleep.  I'm so nervous about leaving him and having him just crying all day because he just wants a boob in his mouth so he can go to sleep.

imageimageimage

Anniversary
  • I'm not sure how much I can help but at my son's daycare there is a little boy that gets breast fed to sleep so the daycare ladies help him sleep by rocking him, giving him a bottle of breastmilk and covering him with a blanket. I'm not sure what your daycare lady does but maybe suggest it and it may help, 11 weeks is still pretty young to stop.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I will try EASY when I am with her and on weekends and see how it goes.
  • If you're comfortable, try a pacifier when you put her to sleep.  Just feed her first, then wake her up enough to give her the pacifier.  Helps my son nap during the day
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Keep in mind 11 weeks is a wonder
    Week so behavior and sleep are typically off. I agree 11 weeks is young to stop nursing to sleep.
  • Paci and a sound machine!
    ~~Kelly~~ Mommy to Aiden 6/2007 and Lilah 2/2010 www.kellybeans.wordpress.com BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"