August 2013 Moms

UO Thursday

2»

Re: UO Thursday

• imagemonaclemere:
    I really dislike cartoon character themed nurseries. Like Winnie the Pooh, Snoopy, etc. yes, "classic" Pooh is included. I think they're tacky and ugly, and pretty corny.I also dislike, and don't buy any for DD, character clothing. No Dora or Elmo or Disney Princess clothes for us. She knows the chracters and likes them, but toys will have to be good enough because the clothes are just awful.

I agree! The only charactertype clothing I may allow I pajamas and undies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSascha3:

My UO is that while I have absolutely no problem with used baby stuff and I appreciate hand me downs, some of it is just too much or things I do not want.

I buy things off craigslist all the time and I will wear used clothing on my baby.  But I like to be the one to pick it out.  I have very particular taste and I want my baby to wear the things I like.  And if I have to have my house cluttered with baby junk, it is going to be baby equipment that I don't mind looking at. 

I had people give me things that I already had, and I detest clutter and extra stuff, so I ended up giving it away and I felt bad.  But I felt bad to turn it down, so I give it to a children's charity so I don't feel quite so bad.   But I don't need a bunch of stuff sitting around my house just because it is free.  My daughter only needs a certain amount of toys, not a room and a living room packed full.  I like to keep my house very clutter free and minimal.  I would rather have a small amount of things I love than a bunch of stuff I don't want to look at.

Same thing with clothes.  I was given so many clothes that I was barely able to wear the things I bought for her until she outgrew them for the first 3 months.  So I ended up giving away a lot of the larger sizes so she could just wear the stuff I loved.  I would rather her wear the same cute clothes over and over than a new outfit every day of blah clothes that aren't my taste.

Now with the twins, I have a new issue.  I hate mismatched stuff, equipment not clothes.  So now I have to have everything matching and cohesive.  I don't want 2 different high chairs, because everyday when I stare at them I will feel like my house looks like a mess and it will bug me to no end.  I need to buy the same crib as last time, because 2 different cribs would drive me crazy.

Yes.  I am very neurotic about my surroundings.  A clutter free and cohesive, well decorated home soothes my soul.  I seriously find it to be a necessary component of my mental well being. I guess that is the result of growing up with hoarders:)

ETA:  Whoa...that was long.  Sorry...I am a crazy ladyStick out tongue

I whole heartedly agree!  I take everything anyone wants to give me. Keep what I love and donate/consign the rest. I too grew up with hoarders.  

BabyFruit Ticker

IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/qpqv84.jpg[/IMG]

Patiently waiting for little brother!

• Loading the player...
  • imagewilsontl19191:
    imagemonaclemere:
    I really dislike cartoon character themed nurseries. Like Winnie the Pooh, Snoopy, etc. yes, "classic" Pooh is included. I think they're tacky and ugly, and pretty corny.I also dislike, and don't buy any for DD, character clothing. No Dora or Elmo or Disney Princess clothes for us. She knows the chracters and likes them, but toys will have to be good enough because the clothes are just awful.
    I agree! The only charactertype clothing I may allow I pajamas and undies.

LOL.  

I agree 100% with this.  The only characters clothes that don't make my skin crawl are Dr. Seuss.  If I have a girl, there will be NO disney princess paraphernalia in my house so help me God. 

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • My UO goes along with some other stuff that was mentioned.  Anyway, I hate gender norms.  Looking at clothes based on each gender, it really irritates me when the only thing for girls is pink, frilly dresses and crap that says "daddy's princess" all over it.  likewise, for boys, all they have is sports themed, "daddy's little slugger," cars and trucks. 

I'm going to be "that mom" that puts my girl in sports only and let's her run around and get dirty and play with frogs.  Likewise, my son will be allowed to wear pink, take dance, and play with pink easy bake ovens if he wants to.  It really irritates me when parents tell their kids they can't do something b/c that's for the other gender and the kid is like 2 or 3.  just let them do what they want and be their own person.  

Baby C - 08.23.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"