Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&E help?

I have been scheduled for a D&E.  The clinic schedules it in a 2-step process.  I go in tomorrow to soften the cervix and then the procedure is on Saturday.  I understand the technical aspects of the process, but can anyone give me an idea of what it's like to go through it?  What should I expect physically?
BFP#1 on 7.1.10 ~ Little Miss M born on 3.3.11 BFP#2 on 4.7.12 ~ EDD 12.17.12 ~ natural MC at 6w3d BFP#3 in 11.5.12 ~ EDD 6.29.13 ~ angel baby lost at 18w6d due to terminal diagnosis

Re: D&E help?

• I was put under anesthesia for mine, so I remember nothing. I woke up after with no pain, but was disoriented and a little emotional; but I was grateful that it was done and I had closure. The next day I felt mild cramping, and that lasted for a few days. I had minimal bleeding similar to spotting, and that was it. The emotions (which you're already dealing with) were the hardest part. Good luck, and so sorry for your loss.
  • Hi,

I just posted about my d&e (delayed effects...).  The actual procedure was not so bad because I was put under.  The next few days were mild spotting but 4 days later I had terrible cramps and heavy bleeding that has yet to let up.  I also feel so much more emotinal like my hormones just figured out they needed to drop and are full force!! You may not have any of this and I hope you don't but be prepared for some delayed reactions.  I wish I would have taken more than just two days to recover.   

Also If you want any testing done on the "tissue" (sorry I know) be sure to ask.  My doctor volunteered it thankfully or we would have missed our chance.

Married 11/11/11
    BFP 8/28/12 US 9/20/12 HB 120 US 10/01/12 no HB
    BFP 12/21/12 US 01/21/13 Blighted Ovum
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a d e a couple months ago. It sounds like your procedure might be a little different but I can tell you everything I know. I will pm you though.
  • I sent you a PM.
  • imagemandi195:
    I was put under anesthesia for mine, so I remember nothing. I woke up after with no pain, but was disoriented and a little emotional; but I was grateful that it was done and I had closure. The next day I felt mild cramping, and that lasted for a few days. I had minimal bleeding similar to spotting, and that was it. The emotions which you're already dealing with were the hardest part. Good luck, and so sorry for your loss.

This is my experience too..im so sorry for you loss.

Missing Our July Sparkler
    BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
    BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

• I've had two now and the procedure itself is pretty painless (physically). I was also under general anesthesia so I don't remember a thing. I went to the surgery center, got an IV and was put to sleep. It took about 15 minutes and then I was in recovery. I woke up just feeling groggy but in no pain whatsoever. The first time I went home and had some cramping, passed a few clots and then had steady bleeding for about 10 days. This time I've yet to have any cramping or bleeding (just had it done today) so it seems like it can be different each time or depending on the person. I remember it being pretty hard emotionally last time after a couple of days when my body figured out that my hormone levels had dropped dramatically. I was just all over the place emotionally. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. I'll be thinking of you.

My Ovulation Chart

BFP #1 3.16.12. mmc 5.7.12 at 11 weeks ~Avery Cameron~

BFP #2 12.12.12. mmc 1.22.13 at 10 weeks ~Theodore Michael~

D&C #2 Chromosome analysis results: Translocation Trisomy 14

My RPL Testing: Homozygous MTHFR, normal karyotype

DH's karyotype results: Robertsonian Translocation 13:14

BFP #3 9.10.13 mc at 4 weeks~Our little May Flower~ 

BFP #4 10.13.13- Our Rainbow Baby, a little girl, arrived June 25, 2014! 

• Sorry about the impending d&e. I had bleeding for about two weeks, heavy for the first week, like a period. No physical complaints. The only thing I wanted to add to other posters is that you should be prepared for your milk to come in depending on far along you are. Your dr can speak to the likelihood of that. It would come in a few days after the procedure and I was advised to wear a tight sports bra. I took tylenol for pain and it subsided after a week. The hormone crash combined with grief is rough. It took about a month for my emotions to stablize. You might want to think about a closure activity (lighting a candle, saying a prayer, writing a note) before the procedure and that may help emotionally. Therapy is also a good idea to deal with the grieving process. 

My period came back about 6 weeks after the procedure, which is normal.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"