Natural Birth

going natural! (Intro)

Hello ladies!

I have been dwelling with myself during the last few weeks about having a med-free birth or to get the epidural. After some reading I was already inclined for a natural childbirth.

All my family thinks this is absolutely crazy as in Mexico nearly everyone who delivers in a hospital gets the epidural with no question. However I live in Holland and here only around 30% of women choose to have an epidural which is not covered and costs more than ?1000. They treat birth as a natural situation and not a medical one, thus they also recommend to have a home birth and take as many hours as you need (they have the highest rate of home deliveries in the developed world).

I have chosen to have the baby at the hospital (I'm still afraid of the baby needing a doctor right after birth, as I did when I was born) but I chose to avoid the epidural, not only because of the cost but also because I think I can do this and I am afraid of the risks. 

I will be around this board, maybe with many questions... H&H 9! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
*Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

Re: going natural! (Intro)

• I just watched a documentary on Natural Birth/Home Birth (on Netflix) and they featured Holland and their natural/home birth practices! 
    DD #1 born @ 38 weeks 11/1/10
    BFP #2 Jan 2013 - MMC found at 11 wks, measured 8w2d.
    BFP #3 August 30, 3013, EDD 5/7/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, it's amazing how many babies are born at home. However I was reading in the news that women here are starting to feel that these practices are too old-school and are increasing hospitalized and medicalized births... (use of epidural is increasing gradually... ) :(
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• There's another good one on Netflix called Pregnant in America where they have a good discussion of practices in Holland - shows as very positive.

Good luck with your birth, natural birth was an awesome experience for us. Hopefully it will be for you too.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"