Cloth Diapering

NB diapers, specifically BG and Lil Joeys

Hey ladies.  I'm new to CDing, but have learned a lot about cloth from my sister who CDs my niece.  Our original plan was to do sposies until he could fit into our BG OS stash.  At barely 2 weeks old he developed a pretty wicked rash, so I wanted to get him into cloth as quick as possible (we did sposies and Desitin until it cleared).

We went to my sister's CD store and I found a bunch of pre-loved Lil Joeys.  Which I love, they are adorable.  But it seems as though LO is a heavy wetter and he leaks within 2 hours.  There is no room for any type of insert or doubler in the LJ.

I also bought a 6 pack of the BG NB size to round out our NB stash (also they were cheaper per diaper than the new LJs).  I had read back over a few pages of posts and found several about the BG NB and varying lengths of time they could wear them and if they were absorbent or not. He did make it 3 hours in a BG without a leak.

So my question is, if my son is a heavy wetter, can I add a doubler to the BGs?  There certainly seems to be enough room.  I feel like I'm going to have to sell the LJs (which breaks my heart, they're so cute!!) and just get more BGs.  I'm not interested in prefolds and covers or fitteds.  I like the AIO system for NB and DH does too.  If I can add a doubler, which kind do you suggest?  I know it has to be a particular kind because some things can't go directly against his skin. 

<3<3 "You know my name, not my story.
You've heard what I've done, not what I've been through.
If you were in my shoes, you'd fall the first step." <3<3

Re: NB diapers, specifically BG and Lil Joeys

• Three hours is a long time to go in between changes especially with a newborn. How long were you going inbetween changes with the disposables? That could be where the rash was coming from.  I personally liked our BG NB (a heck of a lot better than the 4.0s) but I now a lot on here don't  care for them.  As for a doubler I'm not sure...I really liked our flats and covers for the NB stage. I also love my AppleCheeks. They run small and we were actually able to get a good fit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepbfluff:
    Hey ladies.nbsp; I'm new to CDing, but have learned a lot about cloth from my sister who CDs my niece.nbsp; Our original plan was to do sposies until he could fit into our BG OS stash.nbsp; At barely 2 weeks old he developed a pretty wicked rash, so I wanted to get him into cloth as quick as possible we did sposies and Desitin until it cleared.We went to my sister's CD store and I found a bunch of preloved Lil Joeys.nbsp; Which I love, they are adorable.nbsp; But it seems as though LO is a heavy wetter and he leaks within 2 hours.nbsp; There is no room for any type of insert or doubler in the LJ. I also bought a 6 pack of the BG NB size to round out our NB stash also they were cheaper per diaper than the new LJs.nbsp; I had read back over a few pages of posts and found several about the BG NB and varying lengths of time they could wear them and if they were absorbent or not. He did make it 3 hours in a BG without a leak.So my question is, if my son is a heavy wetter, can I add a doubler to the BGs?nbsp; There certainly seems to be enough room.nbsp; I feel like I'm going to have to sell the LJs which breaks my heart, they're so cute!! and just get more BGs.nbsp; I'm not interested in prefolds and covers or fitteds.nbsp; I like the AIO system for NB and DH does too.nbsp; If I can add a doubler, which kind do you suggest?nbsp; I know it has to be a particular kind because some things can't go directly against his skin.nbsp;

I haven't CD a NB but I thing you need to be changing him every 1.5 to 2 hrs anyways. At least I know my DS needs to be.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrs.LKA:
    I haven't CD a NB but I thing you need to be changing him every 1.5 to 2 hrs anyways. At least I know my DS needs to be.

Well he's sleeping for 3 hours at a time right now, and feeding every 3-4 hours.  I hate to wake him just to change his diaper.

• I def wouldn't wake him to change his diaper but would probably move to a prefold with a fleece liner or a more absorbent fitted and double gusseted cover for naps and bed time.   During wake hours I would check him every 1.5 -2 hours.   You could also try a fleece or wool cover but I have zero experience with these so I can't give you any tips in this dept.
  • My son outgrew the absorbency of the BG newborns at 2 weeks old!  They fit him fine, but he couldn't go even1 hour before pee leaks.  I know you said you didn't want to do it, but covers and prefolds or fitteds work SO much better.  If you're talking about adding doublers, you're doing extra fuss anyhow.  It'd strongly recommend covers and fitteds.
  • And if you want to do pockets that should work with him I had mentioned the Apple Cheeks and they go up to 18/20 lbs and offer waist extenders.  I have the bamboo inserts but often stuff them with the thirsties duo inserts or just a single thirsties hemp insert.
  • Thanks ladies, I'll look into the Apple Cheeks.

The Lil Joeys are double gusseted, but that doesn't seem to be helpful.  We're using a thin fleece liner bc we are still putting vaseline on his circ a couple times a day.  Maybe the double gussets are being negated because of the liner?  But we're folding the liner so it fits inside the gusset, so I don't know.

• Yeah, at that age I was changing DS before and after each feed, and often one more time during a burp break, no matter what type of diaper we were using. And we were experimenting with a lot of different diapers. So not surprised to hear that your baby is saturating a diaper in 2 hours.

I would just try more frequent diaper changes, as well as some diaper-free time. That could go a long way towards keeping your baby rash-free.

• DD never lasted more than maybe an hour in Lil Joeys and now can out pee a bamboo fitted in less than two hours on one of her "good" days. 

I gave up on the Lil Joeys rather quickly after her stump fell off and switched to the fitteds that I had. 

Change often and use something more absorbent for bed. We have sbish multi fit snap less diapers that DD's been wearing for ages...yes they are VERY bulky on a NB but will hold everything during a nap/bed and will be great for use for a long time. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • My little girl is exclusively in lil joeys right now since they are the only diaper we have that fits her and when she started leaking at night when she'd sleep 3 hours it was recommended to me to fold up a cloth wipe (we use cheap wash cloths) and put it into the diapers at night. So far it has worked really well and we haven't had another leak in the last few days since we started doing it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"